Power amp OFF/ON control

bikezappabikezappa Posts: 2,505
edited May 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I have been spending money upgrading the electronics and now have a B&K Reference 10 used in stereo only with either an Adcom or Heathkit power amp. The power amps have a manual on off switches only. The electronics are located in a closet away from the room with the speakers. My problem is turning the power amp off and on. How can I do this with my remote? I suppose I could sell the power amps and get a B&K power amp with the 12volt remote control pin jack. Do all B&K power amps have this 12 volt off and on feature? Are there any other solutions out there?

Thanks

Peter
Post edited by bikezappa on

Comments

• jrauschjrausch Posts: 510
    edited May 2003
    This is what I use with my Adcom 5802 and it works like a champ. I did have to open it up to adjust the sensitivity to turn on at lower volumes. That was no big deal and the manual shows you how.
    Check E-bay and audiogon frequently as one just sold for $90
    on audiogon.

http://www.parasound.com/service_information/discontinued/scamp.html
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • bikezappabikezappa Posts: 2,505
    edited May 2003
    Thanks JRAUSCH this is just what I need. What is it called?
    edited May 2003
    "Scamp". (Signal controlled amp)It's uses a zero loss RCA passthrough or 12v trigger to turn your power on. Good stuff.
    edited May 2003
    I figured that out later when I looked at parasound web site. It isn't made any more unfortunately. I'll keep looking because it is exactly what I need. Thanks again for the good advice.
    edited May 2003
    I paid $65 for mine off of e-bay 4 months ago. I have been looking for a good deal on one of their CD transports and I regularly see them on the Bay and the Gon. Even though some may go for a bit more it depends on how bad someone needs one. Keep looking and one is bound to end up in your system.
    edited May 2003
    Have you ever used a Niles AC-3? It looks similar but smaller than the scamp. 1500 watts limit.
    edited May 2003
    Never used one, but it looks fine if it fits your needs. I don't have the 12vdc trigger on my pre-amp and I needed something that would trigger by sensing the output signal. The Scamp has both.