Amp to power mm12

xlratedsls
xlratedsls Posts: 8
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I recieved a free amp from one of my relatives. I dont have much information on it except this ...

The actual model is PCH-6200X
http://www.boschmann.co.za/prod3.html

it's a 1000w @4ohms 2 channel class D

Im just using one channel to power my mm12

:confused: Does anyone know anything about these amps? Are they good/bad, anything at all would be helpful?

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by xlratedsls on

Comments

• C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited May 2003
    Well, first off, not a very good website. I've never heard of this company, but judging by the 1000w logo plastered on the heatsink, there's a good chance that is a peak level. Most likely you're gonna get 1/2 to 2/3 of that power RMS(with more of my assumption leaning toward the 1/2 mark). I would bridge the two channels together and try to get as much out of it as you can. As it stands, even if that amp puts out 1000w bridged power RMS, the way you're running it right now will put out around 250, which is underpowering the mm12 by a longshot and you're gonna end up with a blown momo. Hopefully someone else knows a little more about that actual brand, but I think what I'm telling you is probably gonna be pretty accurate.
    If it is a class D mono amp, the rating would most likely be a 2 ohm rating, in which case you'd have to get a second momo to run full power. If that's the deal, I hope you're getting the full 1000 watts out of that thing cuz you're gonna need every bit of it to run two mm12's.
    "The Big C"
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    They are from South Africa it looks like. If you are in the U.S., I'd be wary about shady dealings with them.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • xlratedsls
    edited May 2003
    Intresting points...
    I cant really find anymore information out, and i've allready tried emailing the company with no response yet.

what kind of device can i use to find out what the power output is?
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    the guys already said everything im gonna sya but basically ya...

i mean class D 2 channel? that's assbackwards in design to begin with... D's are not suitable for a multichannel setup.. unless they're T's... but that's still nothin special.

1000 w is probably 1000 w bridged at 4 ohms max... so 500 rms x 1 bridged at 4 ---> 250 x 2 rms at 2 ohms ... ---> 125 x 2 at 4 ohms.

see how a 1000 watt amp suddenly becomes a 125 x 2 ? sucks dont it?

you can wire the amp up - set your gain to 65% and then play a 60 hertz bass note track in the cd player.... put your multimeter on the bridged output (something like right - and left + or some ****... it'll say)... measure the voltage -- power = V^2 / R ... so just square the voltage and divide by 4 ohms -- that's what you'll get bridged at 4 ohms. ... if its anywhere near 1000 ill be shocked.

u can do the same for each channel.... measure the voltage for each channel, square, divide by 4 -- thats your rms at 4 ohms for that channel... well... roughly. its no exact science but its close enough to give u an idea of your general power.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    also -- what is the fuse on it?

multiply the fuse size by 10 -- for class D amps it is usually almost dead on for power output.... like a 750 watt class D amp will have two 35 amp fuses (2 x 35 = 70 x 10 = 700)

if its got two 50A fuses or a 100A fuse or whatever then it may just do that 1k watts.
  • xlratedsls
    edited May 2003
    Well here are my results:

I didnt have a multimeter to test my voltage out, I basically just said screw it and bridged both channels. The bass and quality was so much better than before. So I assume that it was 500W X1 @ 4ohms RMS; however using your other formula (PBD:fuses) I looked and on the amp there are 2 40a fuses. Im kinda confused about that. Could this manufacturer just be using higher fuses? or could it really be more then 500 rms?

BTW this is what I have (I think it's pretty good for my 1st sound system)

mm12 powered by boschmann amp (pain in my a...)

2 polk audio ex365 up front
    2 polk audio ex369 in the rear
    both powered by: Kenwood 8401 (60x4 at 4 ohms)

what do you guys think?
    and thanks again for all the help guys
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    80a... well... its class D -- so... 80 x 10 = 800

so i do not doubt that if those are hte appropriate fuses for that amp, then chances are... it probably does 700 at least, maybe 800 watts or a little more RMS x 1 bridged.

its not an exact science, like i said, but its pretty close.

mtx 81000d = 1500 x 1 at 14v --> has a 150A reccomended fuse
    mtx 6500D = 750 x 1 at 14v --> has 75A fuses on it.

RF bd1000 = 1350 at 14v --> has 140A recc fuses.

JBL 1200.1 = 1300 @ 14v --> reccomended 120A fuse.

for class AB this doesn't work, they're not as efficient, but for D -- its a damned close estimate.