Cable Install in a living room

DannyV
DannyV Posts: 23
Hiyas,

I'm running some cables through my parents house this weekend and need some tips.

1) When running cable to the rear channels in a 5.1 surround, should I run them on opposite sides of the room to reduce interferance?

2) What kind of cable camoflages well in a living room? We have a white living room. I know you'll sat white cable, but do you have any tips on hiding it places?

-thanks,

Dan
Danny V
57" toshiba cinema series
H/K 525
"pos" Panasonic DVD progressive scan
Front: Polk Rti1000p
Center: Polk Csi40
Rear: Polk Fxi30
Sub: Velodyne CHT-10
Post edited by DannyV on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Straight runs of speaker wire runs will not induce current in one another so long as they are not coiled, so feel free to run both rears on the same side of the room.

Easy way to hide wire is to pull the baseboards and run the wire behind them. That still leaves the final few feet up the wall to hide. An in-wall run for that distance is the ultimate hide if you're comfortable boring a couple holes (baseboards should hide the route in and the speakers the wire's exit from the wall). If you're not you can buy plastic channel at Lowe's or HD that will cover the vertical run.

If the HT room is over a basement, that's a potential route.

There is "flat wire" available that you can actually paint over, but I wouldn't recommend it. Besides being fairly lightweight, you'd have to have a junction with the normal wire you'd use for the baseboard runs.

Do not run wire under the carpet. It can break under foot traffic. Can also be impaled on carpet strips.

Hope this helps.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • DannyV
    DannyV Posts: 23
    edited May 2003
    thanks for the help,

I'll certainly take in consideration the baseboard thing or trim that surrounds the room. I might just put the speakers on stands instead of mounting them on the walls.

thanks again,
    Danny V
    57" toshiba cinema series
    H/K 525
    "pos" Panasonic DVD progressive scan
    Front: Polk Rti1000p
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rear: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne CHT-10
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    You're welcome... Let us know how it goes... and we do like pictures... :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited May 2003
    If you do decide to put them up high, you can also sneek the wire behind some crown molding if you have that ....
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....