Question?

Options
lonney
lonney Posts: 27
I know this is a simple question BUT i dont know the answer so im gonna ask and risk being Laughed at hahahah here goes how do i wire up the tv so that i dont have to turn the amp on just to watch Telivision? I have the wires from the cable box to the amp for the BIG sound how do i go from there to the tv so that when i turn on the cable box and Just the TV it works?
Thanx in advance:)
MY SETUP:
Hitachi 43"FWX20B HDTV Widescreen
Panasonic SA- HE100-Receiver
Paisley Research Ref 1-Fronts
PolkAudio CSi40-Center
PolkAudio R15's on stands-Rears
PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub
All Monster Cable THX Cert. 16Guage spk wire
All Monster Cable THX cert. Connections
JVC XV-N44 DVD W/Monster THX cert.Component and Optical Cables
Post edited by lonney on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2003
    Options
    We need a little more information Lonney.

How many A/V inputs do you have on your receiver. One may be labled TV/Cable.

Also, how many outputs do you have audio wise from your TV? It may have a "fixed" and a "variable" audio out.

I run my video cable from Wall to Box to TV, and DVD to TV.

I run audio from TV fixed output, to the input at receiver called TV/Sat/Cable. DVD audio goes to receiver, and I do not use the ouputs on the Box for audio.

This allows me to watch TV standalone, or turn on the receiver and have larger a soundstage.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • lonney
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Okay Everything is brand new xcept the Paisleys i have had those for 10 years the tv has more outs and in than i have ever seen and same as the power amp so i will take what u said and go have a peek it seems to be the "TERMS" im having trouble with like FIXED AND VARIABLE i underatnd the meaning but its in which way to use them i guess!.................BUT I APPRECIATE ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!!! thanx ill b back in a minute
    MY SETUP:
    PolkAudio CSi40-Center
    PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I run the RCA audio and video outputs on my VCR to my receiver, and the monitor/video output on the receiver to the RCA video input jack on the TV. I can then use the HT for either TV or a VHS tape by putting the TV on "video."

I also connect the VCR to the TV using the regular old cable coax. That allows me to turn on ONLY the TV and VCR and use them normally, with the TV on channel 3, albeit with the TV speakers only. That allows my kids to watch *VHS* movies on the HT set without firing up the HT.

I have not bothered to wire-in the ability to watch a DVD without firing up the HT.. because.. uh.. why? Actually, I think my TV would be the limiting factor there because I don't have multiple inputs and some sort of outboard switch separate from my receiver just isn't necessary for us. But it can be done.

Edit: because you have a plethora of inputs/outputs on your TV, then it should be simple. Just keep track of what you're doing for each step, get one set-up hooked up, verify that it works, then move on to the next.
  • lonney
    edited May 2003
    Options
    It seems to say that i have an "AUDIO TO HI FI" output so i guess cable box to tv and the audio to hifi output to the amp?............I guess i just dont want to fry anything buy connecting the wrong signal to something thanx in advance
    MY SETUP:
    PolkAudio CSi40-Center
    PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I used this reference as to what your receiver probably looks like in the back.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-1QorMIkJJOo/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=10420&id=morephotos&pi=2&i=133SAHE2HS&display=XL#morephotos

Use your audio output on your TV, to the "TV IN" on the Panasonic. This will allow you 6.1 sound from your TV with the receiver ON. It should also allow you to simply watch the TV with the TV speakers on only, receiver OFF.

I would send your DVD Component Video/S Video out, straight to the TV, and the audio into the Panasonic.

I wouldnt bother with the Cable Box audio outputs to the Pana, beings all that will be coming from your TV anyhow. Just send your audio outputs from the Box into your TV. Thats only if you wish to, it will allow you better sound, than just coaxial alone.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • lonney
    edited May 2003
    Options
    yup thats pretty much it i have the 100 thats the 200 same difference hahaha thanx a million for the help so i have to get another cable from the audio to hifi outputs to go to the amp and the amp is 6.1 anyways i just didnt have enough coin to get a rear center yet hahahaha so the tv will be that xtra channel?
    MY SETUP:
    PolkAudio CSi40-Center
    PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2003
    Options
    No, I wouldnt use your TV as the rear center, it will sound really odd. Actually, I don't think I have seen a TV with inputs that would even allow such a thing, but you never know.

I am going to sell all my Monster Cable Interlink 400's, like 4 or 5 pairs if you are interested. Only thing is, I won't be doing that for about another week or so, until I order all the other cables. Just a thought.

Good luck.
  • lonney
    edited May 2003
    Options
    what is Interlink 400's?........Spker cable?
    MY SETUP:
    PolkAudio CSi40-Center
    PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2003
    Options
    No they are RCA cables for left/right analog audio, made by Monster Cable. I noticed you mention MC in your setup, that's why I mentioned it.
  • lonney
    edited May 2003
    Options
    how long r they? 2m or bigger would be great ,i need 2 pair from the cable box to the tv and from the tv to the amp and how much u askin?:D
    MY SETUP:
    PolkAudio CSi40-Center
    PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub