Wiring Help for SR5250

Options
v_audi
v_audi Posts: 6
edited March 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am very new to car audio and have tried to read up on wiring options for the SR5250 but I am still a little confused. I have a pair of SR5250s in the front stage and I am going to power them with a Kenwood KAC-X40, rated at 4x70 rms. Would it be better to bi-amp these speakers, using a separate channel for each mid and tweet, or will that be too much power? I will be using the passive crossover for now. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by v_audi on

Comments

• jay27
    jay27 Posts: 105
    edited March 2010
    Options
    70 watts would not be too much. I think most people on here are using more power than that. I ran as much as 150 watts to each tweeter and driver with an active crossover and the speakers were fine. (Oddly enough, I blew my SR tweeters when running them passively).
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Since you are new to car audio I would run the SR5250's with a nice two channel amp and use the existing crossovers. The crossovers will do some additional processing that will help you dial in the sound you are looking for. If you do have to run the 4 channel kenwood amp then I would just run it bridged into two channels. Biamp is available with the Kenwood and using the crossovers that come with the components but That will open you up to additional settings with regard to level control. Unless you are willing to spent hours tunning just for a little extra then make your life easier and go with a two channel amp and use the single input on the crossovers. The sound will still be amazing.
  • v_audi
    v_audi Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Since you are new to car audio I would run the SR5250's with a nice two channel amp and use the existing crossovers. The crossovers will do some additional processing that will help you dial in the sound you are looking for. If you do have to run the 4 channel kenwood amp then I would just run it bridged into two channels. Biamp is available with the Kenwood and using the crossovers that come with the components but That will open you up to additional settings with regard to level control. Unless you are willing to spent hours tunning just for a little extra then make your life easier and go with a two channel amp and use the single input on the crossovers. The sound will still be amazing.

Thanks to everyone that has responded.

I'm a noob, but definitely willing to learn. In the future I may upgrade my amp but right now I spent my money on the speakers so for now I am stuck with the Kenwood. I'm curious what you mean that bridging the amp would require more tuning than running a separate channel to each speaker. If I am going through the passive crossover would it make that much of a difference? Only reason I ask is because according to the specs bridging the amp puts out 2x200 but running a separate channel to each speaker would put down 70 watts to each tweet and woofer. Thanks.
  • TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Greetings from Norway! :) A little off topic, but may I ask:
    How low should HPF on the SR5250's be? Is 60hz too low for these speakers? Thanks... :D
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2010
    Options
    How low should HPF on the SR5250's be? Is 60hz too low for these speakers? Thanks... :D

Depends on how much power youre putting to them, how loud you turn it up, and what you have in the sub/midbass department.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • TakeTheTime
    edited March 2010
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Depends on how much power youre putting to them, how loud you turn it up, and what you have in the sub/midbass department.
    -Cody

I have them powered up 2x 100w RMS and I turn it up good. I use a 12"-sub ;)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2010
    Options

I have mine at 50hz, with about 90watts per driver. No issues. As long as your sub is getting enough watts, crossing a bit lower improves the mid bass clarity.

If you sometimes like to crank it, like I do, make sure your gains at the amp are set properly. In general, 50-63hz is good. Any higher than 63, and your sub will get boomy and you will have a muddy mid bass / mid range.
  • TakeTheTime
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I currently split around 63hz myself. I've read that the SR5250's range is from 60hz - 30k hz? :)