Db1001 tweeter break-in

Options
LONG TIME BUYER
LONG TIME BUYER Posts: 112
edited March 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I purchased a set of polk audio db1001 tweeters approx; 4 months ago,had them set up with the rest of my system at a car audio shop. My system has been sounding great,but for the past few weeks my highs have been really bright.no adjustments have been touched . My question is do tweeters get brighter when they break-in or maybe i have a amplier problem. Any ideas.
Post edited by LONG TIME BUYER on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yes all drivers have a breakin period. A four month breakin period would mean you only listen to it like half an hour a day or less. If your daily average is higher, its not a breakin issue. I don't think its an amp issue.

Maybe its always been a touch bright, just that you're noticing it now.

How about sharing some details about your setup?
  • LONG TIME BUYER
    edited March 2010
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    yes all drivers have a breakin period. A four month breakin period would mean you only listen to it like half an hour a day or less. If your daily average is higher, its not a breakin issue. I don't think its an amp issue.

Maybe its always been a touch bright, just that you're noticing it now.

How about sharing some details about your setup?

my system consist of a momo c.400 amp for the front 4x6s in the dash,and 6.5s in the door pannels. A c.500 momo amp for a alpine r12 subwoofer in the rear. All the speakers are momo series. They are installed in a extended cab s-10 truck. I purchased the tweeters about 4 months ago and installed them in the top part of the door pannels. I drive 102 miles a day to work and back.im tuned in to the system pretty good. It has started to be rear bright sounding lately and i can pick it up from the tweeters.
  • LONG TIME BUYER
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Do you think the tweeters have broken in and i need to adjust the amp crossover for the front speakers down some?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Tweeters dont really break in as they dont move enough so they wont sound any different from the time you buy them til later. Mids are a little different story and take a little longer. Maybe thats what youre hearing, the upper midrange and not really the tweeters.

DSkip is right though, a big part of your problem is too many speakers. Turn off the dash speakers and listen to just the 6.5's in the door and tune on them a bit. Id be willing to be youll like the sound of one pair of speakers better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LONG TIME BUYER
    edited March 2010
    Options
    macleod wrote: »
    tweeters dont really break in as they dont move enough so they wont sound any different from the time you buy them til later. Mids are a little different story and take a little longer. Maybe thats what youre hearing, the upper midrange and not really the tweeters.

Dskip is right though, a big part of your problem is too many speakers. Turn off the dash speakers and listen to just the 6.5's in the door and tune on them a bit. Id be willing to be youll like the sound of one pair of speakers better.

thank you for your time and input. Maybe this is what im hearing. I didnt mention though that i disconnected the tweeter in my door speakers when i installed the upper door pannel tweeters,and ran that wring to my upper tweeters,using the same crossover.it is a small enclosure in my truck.you can pick out everything in the sound. Thank you all for your answers.