Can they handle???

Jito
Jito Posts: 13
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I own a pair of gnx124's and I was wondering if they could handle a JBL BP1200.1. I know the specs but if I kept the gain down would they still blow?
Post edited by Jito on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    if you had the gain WAY down....but truthfully...i think they still have a good chance of blowing..why do you need a huge amp for those speakers?
    -Cody
  • Jito
    edited May 2003
    The amp is soooooo cheap I can't resist, If they blow it will be an excuse to buy new ones
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    lol...i know what you mean
    but bass is addicting...some day youll be like..its not loud enough..and turn the gain up a little higher...you say you wont...but 9 times out of 10...lol
    that amp would be PERFECT for 2 12 in momos
    -Cody
  • Jito
    edited May 2003
    The Momo's would be nice! Let me blow the gnx's first!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    that amp has a 4 volt input tolerance.. this means, when you've got it at "zero gain" you're setting it for a 4 volt input ... if your head unit has 4 volt outputs then thats like 2.5 or so rms... in which case you'd have the gain at like 1/3 or something... so u floor it and you'll still get something like 750 watts out of it in which case, you're going to blow the **** out of those speakers.

that amp is nothign special dude for the price as u say... i mean i've told people on a budget to buy it because its like 250 on ebay new in box... so for a budget person you can't go wrong... but if i were you i'd buy something like a rockford bd500 or an mtx 6500D for 250 ebay which are MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better amps. hell a lightning audio 350.1 is gonna run you like 150 on ebay and that'd be way better for those subs than the 1200.1
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jito
    edited May 2003
    You say way better for those subs. I was thinking about the future, and the in the future I forsee POWER! The cheaper the sooner I'll have it. I would like to have a little more slam than what I think the GNX's can handle. If you know of a better bang for the buck then the 1200.1 then I'm all ears!!!!!
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited May 2003
    Truthfully, you're not gonna get more true, clean power for the money than the 1200.1. The amp really has no features to it, no subsonic filter for a ported box etc... but if you want more features, you're gonna have to step down a notch power wise if you're set on that budget. That's the reason so many people will recommend a 1200.1, it is what it is... pure raw power, built like a tank, no bells and whistles. I loved mine for the three weeks I had it before it got stolen... :mad:
    "The Big C"
  • Jito
    edited May 2003
    Thank you C-Man! I have read over 50 reviews from people who own this amp, and what your saying is the standard among them. I understand it doesn't have the extras. But I'm glad to hear it's built like a tank. I'm not a rich guy, just a poor carpenter with a thirst for BASS!!!!!!!!!! Also I'm sorry to hear your 1200.1 was stolen. Nothing worse and liers and theifs. At least there cheap enough you could afford another one in this lifetime.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    it'll actually do something like 1350 at 14v... if i was on a budget-- i'd use it. that's about the best i can say about any product... and i try not to recc anything unless i'd use it myself unless somebody's askin about something waaaaayy underbudget.

so ya - go for it and enjoy it -- just BE CAREFUL with the gnx's -- i mean look this way - if u take care of em, sure it sounds weak now, but in a few months / whatever when u decide to upgrade subs u can always sell them to a kid for like half what u paid for them and use the cash toward u're next sub(s).

enjoy that amp :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge