Old mm vs New mm

Options
psychohistory
psychohistory Posts: 7
edited May 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Howdy!

I currently have MMC650 in the front, and MMC690 in the back. Both are powered by an Alpine PDX5. Sounds good, but I know it can be better:

The highs (especially in the rears) are very harsh, and I'm not getting the midrange I would like out of the fronts (maybe this is due to lack of dynamat). So the question I pose is this:

How do the newer MM651 and MM691 compare (to what I currently have)? Are the highs in the MM691 not as harsh, and will I get more mid out of the MM651?

I realize there are tons of factors that influence this (not just the speakers), but in general, I just want to know how much better the newer models are. Any other tips would be appreciated also.

Thanks!
Post edited by psychohistory on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Sell the 650's and the 690. With equalpower going to them the 690/691 will always overpower your 650/651. Get nice pair of components upfront like the MM 6501 or even the older momo's or the vintage MM-6's. Check out the SR's if you can spend a bit more. I'm assuming youre running a sub since you have the pdx-5.

IIRC there was another thread a while back with the same issue. One of the solution there, was to just yank the tweet out of the speaker.
  • psychohistory
    psychohistory Posts: 7
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Maybe not run any power to the tweeters in the 6x9s as a start?
    Dskip: I thought about this, but it's a 3-way spearker. By cutting power to the tweeters, I'd loose the high tweet AND the mid tweet ... I don't want to destroy too much. But I'll give it a shot.

arun1963: Are you suggesting I not have anything in the rear, and just get a really nice set (like the SR) for the fronts?
    IIRC there was another thread a while back with the same issue. One of the solution there, was to just yank the tweet out of the speaker.
    Also, could you link me to this thread? (looked but couldn't find).

I still would like to know if there is an improvement in the newer mm651/691, and what the main differences are (contrasted to the mmc650/690).
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Dskip:
    arun1963: Are you suggesting I not have anything in the rear, and just get a really nice set (like the SR) for the fronts?

Also, could you link me to this thread? (looked but couldn't find).

I still would like to know if there is an improvement in the newer mm651/691, and what the main differences are (contrasted to the mmc650/690).

The Sr's would be an excellent choice. If its in your budget go for it. If not go for the MM 6501.

I'll do a search a little later today and post that thread.

Would the 691/651 sound better than the 690/650? I think they toned down the tweets a bit on the 691. However, a coax in front and a 6x9 at the back both sets powered, is a poor setup, irrespective of the quality of speakers. Your rears will always overpower the fronts in this setup.
  • nene503
    nene503 Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'll take your MMC650 if you sell them. I have been lookin for them because i want my whole car to macth. Thanks.