Hooking up amp and sub to stock 09 GTI HU

Options
09GTIGuy
09GTIGuy Posts: 11
edited March 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
First time posting here , not sure how to start this new post so here I am.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with hooking up an amp and sub (with box) to a 2009 vw gti stock system. I already have a sub enclosure (or sub box) that my brother gave to me so any advise on what kind of speaker and amp to buy would be great . I want to just get a little bit more out of my current system and I was wondering if there was a way to do this without re-wiring and adding an after market system. Meaning I would like to keep my stock speakers , HU , and satilite radio and just add my sub box and amp. Im also a complete noob so anyone that is willing to help its greatly appritiated if you give me detailed information.

Thanks , SL
Post edited by 09GTIGuy on

Comments

• 09GTIGuy
    edited March 2010
    Options
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2010
    Options
    A sub will overpower your speakers running off your stock hu. Get a pair of components, a 4ch amp and then power the comps and your sub.

Cody is the install expert here.
  • 09GTIGuy
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Combs X) ? Cody I wonder how I would get in touch with Cody , I was thinking of heading over to a local car audio shop near my house but Im afraid of being held over the coals. I have a very limited budget and no experiance but I would like to do this myself . Wonder if Cody could help , sounds like it :). thanks
  • 09GTIGuy
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It looks to be 10" Dskip , any suggestions on what speaker to place in there? Im really only looking to add some thump to my current system . And is there anyway to amp my current speakers ?
  • 09GTIGuy
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Hey Arun1963 , do you have any Idea on how I would do that? Do they sell sets with some sort of instructions that would make this easy on me? Like I said I am a complete noob. Would hooking up the sub and comps to a amp require laying any sort of ground or lines to the battery? That kinda scares me lol .
  • 09GTIGuy
    edited March 2010
    Options
    DSkip ,

Im pretty sure it is what you call a Ported Enclosure or double ported , I dunno :confused:. It's 16" h , 13 w , and 16" d. The slot for the speaker is about 9" (remeasured it today) across and is angled inside the box behind what looks to be fiber glass (not glass , but more hard plastic feel). I can put up pics if that helps any .

As for the type of install , wheather it be components or a 4 channel amp I'm not really too sure yet. I will have to do some more reading up to figure out which will best suit my car and budgit . Just the thought of all that can go wrong with taking apart my dash and door panels makes me shutter (maybe sometime in the future after gaining a bit of convidence from this , but maybe not now). I would still like to keep my stock hu for the 5 disc changer and steering controls. And do any local shops sell some sort of instructions or would you suggest to just browse the internet to get some sort of idea on how to install ? Thanks
  • 09GTIGuy
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Dskip ,

If I were to get a new head unit (which it looks like the better road to take) , how are the Alpine iDA ? or any suggestions on what hu to get? Im looking for something satilite ready , cd , and ipod .
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2010
    Options
    To add an amp to the stock stereo, you just need a line out converter.

You don't really need an aftermarket radio unless you really want it...but it would save you hundreds of dollars to stay stock.

Do you have the Bose system? You'll have to make sure you hook up the line out converter to a signal that has bass. If you have factory subs, tag the signal there. If not, your front speakers should have the right signal if I remember correctly.

VWs can be quite a PITA to work on. A local shop would install it for $75-$100 and save you the headache.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 09GTIGuy
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Cody ,

I have the Manufacturer's own RDS audio system with satellite Disc Autochanger and six-disc remote changer CD player reads MP3 for the 2009 vw Gti . If I use the line out converters would I be able to still hook up a subwoofer to the Head unit w/ amp and amp the stock speakers this way too? I would like to keep most things stock to save some money . From what I hear there are 10 speakers does this mean I would have to get an amp that supports ten channels , then a mono amp for the Sub in the back?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2010
    Options
    09GTIGuy wrote: »
    Cody ,

I have the Manufacturer's own RDS audio system with satellite Disc Autochanger and six-disc remote changer CD player reads MP3 for the 2009 vw Gti . If I use the line out converters would I be able to still hook up a subwoofer to the Head unit w/ amp and amp the stock speakers this way too? I would like to keep most things stock to save some money . From what I hear there are 10 speakers does this mean I would have to get an amp that supports ten channels , then a mono amp for the Sub in the back?

You wouldn't have to get a 10-channel amp as most of those speakers are tied together. A 4-channel amp would work fine...but amping factory speakers isnt all that great of an idea.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Why don't you ask on a GTI specific board?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/ and http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/

I also have an 09 GTI. The OEM door speakers are ok, but the woofers in the back seat area are terrible IMO.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • 09GTIGuy
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Hey Face what do you think about switching the stock front speakers with 6 1/2 " Kappa's? Any improvment there ? Id also be lining out a sub in the future
  • Face
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Where you plan on installing them? The only room in the door is blocked by the seat.

If I were to upgrade mine, I'd look into 3 piece separates just like VW used, just of higher quality.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Face
    edited March 2010
    Options
    This is supposed to be the bee's knees: http://195.243.203.21/rainbow/index.aspx?pm=12b183&lan=ENG

It's pricey and hard to come by though.
  • arun1963
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Mike, are you going to let us CA guys talk you into upgrading your car setup? Get you close to SDA on the go? ;)
  • Face
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It's very possible.
  • arun1963
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ready when u are :D