880PRS Auto TA/EQ

Options
audiofiend
audiofiend Posts: 67
edited March 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I will use the "test tone/listen for the square wave" method to set my gains in the morning. After that I'll do the Auto Time Alignment/Equalization.

Today I did a very quick conservative gain setting by ear. When I was playing with the audio menu (DEH-P880PRS), I couldn't find the actual equalizer curve that the HU made.

Does the HU actually display this info or does it just save it and not display it?
Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
Polk Audio - PA 500.4
Subamps?
Mids: Polk Audio - SR6500
Tweeters: Viva XT 25 SC 90 - 04
Subwoofers:?
Wiring?
Post edited by audiofiend on

Comments

• jay27
    jay27 Posts: 105
    edited March 2010
    Options
    If you are talking about finding the eq curve after the auto time alignment/equalization, it doesn't exist unfortunately. That would have been a cool thing to see.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Why would you want to run the 880 and use 'auto' anything? :confused:;)

There's a thread going on tuning.
  • arun1963
    edited March 2010
    Options
    audiofiend wrote: »
    I couldn't find the actual equalizer curve that the HU made. Does the HU actually display this info or does it just save it and not display it?
    jay27 wrote: »
    That would have been a cool thing to see.

It's about hearing it right.

There is no one setting that will work in all cars. Some things will be ok but perhaps most won't suit your interiors. Hence auto anything
    is a bit of a waste.

The point of running units like the 880, is to set everything to best suit 'your' cars interiors.
  • audiofiend
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I agree with you about auto settings. Most of the time they are half a&& at best but Im afraid were gonna keep seeing more and more of it.

I just wanted to try it. I had 10 min. to tune it. We all know that aint happening by ear. lol.
    Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
    Polk Audio - PA 500.4
    Subamps?
    Wiring?
  • jay27
    edited March 2010
    Options
    audiofiend wrote: »
    I agree with you about auto settings. Most of the time they are half a&& at best but Im afraid were gonna keep seeing more and more of it.

I just wanted to try it. I had 10 min. to tune it. We all know that aint happening by ear. lol.

The MS-8 is supposed to change everything about auto tuning as we know it.
  • audiofiend
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You're not gonna leave us hangin' are ya?

What's MS-8?
    Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
    Polk Audio - PA 500.4
    Subamps?
    Wiring?
  • jay27
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It's the JBL processor that's been talked about for years and is finally (supposedly) near mass production stage. It is supposed to produce great results with an auto tune function. I believe it made a cameo appearance some time ago at SBN and was utilized in a vehicle that used mostly stock gear and it swept the competition. The JBL guys said that 80% of the tuning on it was done by the MS-8 and only minor tweaking was done manually. It'll be pretty pricey though, I am sure.
  • arun1963
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The ms-8 is a much delayed project. I think it's missed like, 2-3 announced launch times. It has 8 preouts, good for folks running three ways, with two subs. It has a 31band eq but no TA.

So far its an avg processor at best. No TA? :)

JBL is counting on hitting pay dirt with this, because of its auto tuning function. It uses a pair of binaural mics that you wear as a headset. It's based on trying to replicate how we hear. That's a tall task.

The commercial angle of course is, that for every customer who is a tuner and would drop 6-700 on a pure processor, there are 15 who would drop the same amt, but would just want good sound at the press of a button. :)

I think they hit some technology and knowledge barriers along the way.
  • arun1963
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Damn. I've got to stop posting at 2am. The ms-8 does not have preouts. It is an 8ch processor that will take 8 speaker level or line level inputs from the hu. So it can be hooked up to virtually any OEm / after market unit.
  • jay27
    edited March 2010
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    The ms-8 is a much delayed project. I think it's missed like, 2-3 announced launch times. It has 8 preouts, good for folks running three ways, with two subs. It has a 31band eq but no TA.

So far its an avg processor at best. No TA? :)

JBL is counting on hitting pay dirt with this, because of its auto tuning function. It uses a pair of binaural mics that you wear as a headset. It's based on trying to replicate how we hear. That's a tall task.

The commercial angle of course is, that for every customer who is a tuner and would drop 6-700 on a pure processor, there are 15 who would drop the same amt, but would just want good sound at the press of a button. :)

I think they hit some technology and knowledge barriers along the way.

Wow. I've never read anything negative about this processor until now. Average at best? Everyone I know of is clamouring over this thing like crazy!
  • arun1963
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Youre right, that was a bit strong perhaps. I haven't heard it either.

My comment was based on both what it does and doesn't do as a processor and its touted usp.

Does do : Allows active upto three way with 2 subs. Good flexibility. But almost all good processors offer this. 1/3 octave independent L/R eq. Great, but again a common feature on all top end processors.

Doesn't do : No digital inputs. Granted that with decent well connected and properly run rca's, there should'nt be any noise issues. But its good to have the option of running a toslink. It also helps in eliminating one flip flop between digital and analogue.

No TA. Thats a big one. It eliminates the possibility of running a pure digital source with no dsp at source.

Its touted usp is that it 'auto' tunes the sound close to perfection. While that may be great for most, around 98% of the people, give them better sound than they would normally have. Its just not such a great unit for the balance 2% compulsive tuners. :)

The show car in 2007 which won the competition was tuned by a pro for an hour after auto tuning. Thats a fair distance from perfection.

I guess thats why they spent another 3 years tweaking the auto function. I'm sure it got better, but its not likely to be perfect. So why tout it that way?
  • arun1963
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Sorry, it does have TA but in increments of 2". Thats a lot, considering the 0.5" that my hu offers. Again for the vast majority it may offer some of the critical stuff and a 'new and improved' auto tuning feature. So sure, the plug and play majority would have better sound than they normally would.

Its just not the ultimate for the small minority of tweakers. Or maybe its just not about us :D.
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited March 2010
    Options
    car manufacturers are really pushing the audio industry in these (stupid) directions. (IMHO)

the integrated (crappy) head units offer little options for new car owners. even me, as a car audio fan, would not rip off the the stock hu... because it's gonna take a whole dash rebuild to integrate and after market hu.

a high quality head unit costs just around 300 bucks and does everthing. looks better. and gives great quality at the head of the signal chain. it simplifies u'r system.

eg - my hu is hooked directly to my amps. not a problem when troubleshooting or setting gains etc. if i had a ziliion things to setup... i'd nvr be done!
  • arun1963
    edited March 2010
    Options
    tk421 wrote: »
    a high quality head unit costs just around 300 bucks and does everthing. looks better. and gives great quality at the head of the signal chain. it simplifies u'r system.

eg - my hu is hooked directly to my amps. not a problem when troubleshooting or setting gains etc. if i had a ziliion things to setup... i'd nvr be done!

Yes thats why I love the p-880. Clean source and tons of tuning features, almost a mini processor. :D That said, a decent hu with a good processor would easily beat the p-880 for sound quality.

If you're into tuning and tweaking, you don't want to be 'done'. Having a zillion options ensures that you never are. :)