fryed momo....

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
To make a long story short i purchased a momo 12 sub from polk about 3 months ago. this sub has been properly broken in and put in a custom .88^3 ft box. i was listening to my music pretty loud, but not TOO loud when all of the sudden the sub cut out. The sub was not clipping and didnt even sound distorted! i got to my house and looked at it and i couldnt figure out what was going on, then finally i turned the music back on and the sub just made a rattling noise! so i took the sub out of the box and just as soon as the seal broke smoke started to come out! ahh! so now i am really discouraged... the same thing happend to my DX series subs...what should i do from here? and if i do have to send it back could you guys tell me what went wrong with it? thanks!!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited May 2003
    What kind of amp were you using?
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    ya my sentiments exactly.. what kinda amp?

i've never had a DX sub catch fire on me... and i've had like 8 of them... nor have i seen a momo go bad in that manner with any of my friends... that's really odd as hell when you say that it happened to two subs.

you're amp is probably a hunk of crap or y ou've got the gain set at full.

what could be happening is DC clipping... where your amp is juiced to its max and its putting out a flat wave at points. that would definately smoke the hell out of a voice coil in a short time.... or its a pile of junk and its doing that...

if that thing caught fire, i'm going to bet you that you send that back to polk and they'll refuse warranty repair on it on the basis of you ran waaayyyy to much power to the voice coil, thus literally frying it.

you realize that you can put 1000 watts on a momo 12 for a few seconds (max) or as much as 650 rms (Even tho its only rated at 500) for constant rms power and NOT have a probelm with it at all... above that, you'll have minor problems that result in the sub sounding like crap and dying over a period of time... btu NOT CATCHING FIRE.... smoke = fire = you're dumping a sick amount of power or a small amoutn of absolute garbage DC clip onto it.

good luck with that one.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited May 2003
    Road Gear 250 watt amp with gain at full. Perfect amount of power for an MM12 right? :lol:

J/K man.
    "The Big C"
  • Keske944
    Keske944 Posts: 134
    edited May 2003
    Hey Vinny,
    What do ya think about 600rms @ 4 ohms to a MM10? Just to let ya know my amp is rated at 14.4v so I think that I will be in good shape. Same with my MM6's. 14.4v amp 75w rms to each speaker (150 rms to each set) @ 4 ohms. BTW speakers start going in next week.

Adam Keske
    (finally)
    Patience... patience...

Screw patience... Crank the volume and floor it you panzie.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    600 is a bit much... electrically the 10 and 12 are probably the same... physically the 10 is obviuosly going to take a little less power.

My working notion was always 600 - 650 for the 12 // 500 or so for the 10.

my recc would be to try it with the gain down a little.. break it in as per normal and then juice it up until u start to have problems... u might be able to dump 600 on it depending on the music u play and equilization you use.

worst case scenario you keep the gain back a little bit -- in which case your damping will go up / thd goes down / and it sounds fabulous.

i think we talked about the components before -- i think you're a little light on power... but 75 will definately push them adequately, just not as the same "level of performance" as that 500 / 600 is going to do for your sub. i think it'll sound fine though... my girlfriend has like 65 on her polk dx comps and she's happy with it... i'm "satisfied" with them.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge