JL Audio W6v2 Blown coil?

Options
KrazyMofo24
KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,195
edited April 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I bought a used 12'' W6v2 I had the jumper settings in series VC1- to VC2+ which should be in series according to the manual. However there is very little output can barely feel it move or barely audible. So my friend moved the jumper to I believe VC1+ to VC2+, and the sound was much better. I'm going to take it out to look at it again soon. Well I suspect one voice coil isn't working based on it not working when the jumper is connected in series. I'm going to make another jumper and try it parallel.

Has anyone run in to a situation like this? Does it sound like one isn't working? If so will the sub still sound fine with just one voice coil?
Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

Post edited by KrazyMofo24 on

Comments

• huskerpolkfan
    huskerpolkfan Posts: 21
    edited February 2010
    Options
    JL audio does it all time the voice coil are weak you should get kickers
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited February 2010
    Options
    it is possible, it has happened with some other speakers one VC was bad but the other was good. You can run it that way just remember the power ratings are cut in half and it will not sound as good as its supposed to or play as loud IMO.
  • KrazyMofo24
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thanks the manual says to only hook it up with both voice coils. Well I'm going to go take it out of the box and try it in parallel I probably got hosed on the sub. Well I'll run it like this if the other one is indeed bad. I'll just wait until I can get another sub if it's bad.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• KrazyMofo24
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I just added the second jumper and it looks like that did it. I'm relieved that the sub is working now.
    Setup:

• KrazyMofo24
    edited February 2010
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    'grats

How does the new install sound?

I am hoping that everything will be done tonight. I have subwoofer and amp installed, the new wire for the Alpines ran, and the cd player installed. I just need to finish up the Alpines then I should be good.
    Setup:

• zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thats good the sub was not blown, I have had one of those and it was a great sounding sub. JL does make good stuff but pricey. I moved on to a bigger "sleeper" sub that I got a hell of a deal used. Just remember to take your time installing, all you have to do is get it wrong once.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2010
    Options
    JL audio does it all time the voice coil are weak you should get kickers

I've had a w6 running with my Arc Audio 1500-xxk....never had any issues with it.....that amp was putting out a good amount of power, ofcourse i was conservative with the gains.

My current one has been in my car for a while..no issues here.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It's a great subwoofer! How many watts are you powering it with - and what is your LPF set to? :)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock