Noise in my sub

wrenchmnky
wrenchmnky Posts: 7
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Let me start off by letting you guys know what I have.

1994 Silverado EXT Cab

KDC-322 Head unit, KDC-C719 CD Changer, Alpine 4x6 (Dash), Pioneer 6x9 (rear), MTX Thunderform (under the rear seat).

Now on to my problem, With the engine running, volume down all the way or in between songs there is engine noise making the sub vibrate or flutter. I have gone to www.crutchfield.com and followed all of their online tips for curing engine noise. I have called twice to converse with a tech and no matter what I do, I can't get rid of the noise. I have gone from checking the Antenna to installing and then removing some inline noise filters on the constant and acc wires to the head unit. My next step might be to purchase some Monster brand rca cables and some Mu metal to cover the changer cable (just on the off chance). I have worked on this for several nights with no improvement. I do have to say that this is the first time I have owned a sub and amp. Am I just spinning my wheels, should I let it be? To Me, It seems that there shouldn't be any flutter at all. I would really apreciate it if anyone has any Ideas to help me along on this.

Another issue is, any of you have a changer w/sub set up...if you do, are you able to hear the changer change discs thru the sub? Maybe the 2 problems are connected?

I look forward to your responses.

thanks, Wrenchmnky

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    I can't believe that you haven't checked your ground yet.

Check all your grounding points for a solid ground. If any of them are loose, tighten them if you can. If you can, find another, better spot to ground them. Also, make sure that you ground as many audio grounds as you can to a common ground point to eliminate ground loops.

Make sure you antenna leads are solidly connected to the antenna too. If any grounds are grounded to a painted panel, make sure that you have scraped away paint from around the grounding hol otherwise, you will not have a solid ground.

If you have run power wires next to signal wires, move the signal wires. Common practice is to run power wires down the driver's side of the vehicle and the signal wires down the passenger side of the vehicle or vise versa. In teh Fords, The battery is on the passenger side so you might want to run the signal wires down the driver's side so that the run from the battery is as short as possible. Long lengths of wire can also be a source of noise.

Now, you have told everyone what head unit you have, the kinds os speakers you have and teh CD Changer and they are all irrelevant to your problem.

How is your sub powered? Are you full-range speakers powered by an amp or off the headunit? What kind of amp are you using? How large is your power wire? How large is you ground wire? Is your amp turn-on lead securly connected? How many amplifiers do you have in the system? Do you have any crossovers?

I need to know the answers to ALL of those questions to understand where other sources of noise might be.

Oh, and don't waste your money on a noise filter. It will just bandage a problem and cover it up. Solve the problem and you won't have to worry about spending money of frivolous crap like a noise filter. It's not a fix, just a lazy way of getting out of doing trouble shooting and in 90% of the cases I've looked at, a noise filter did exactly jack squat. Don't waste your money.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • wrenchmnky
    wrenchmnky Posts: 7
    edited May 2003
    You wrote:How is your sub powered? Are you full-range speakers powered by an amp or off the headunit? What kind of amp are you using? How large is your power wire? How large is you ground wire? Is your amp turn-on lead securly connected? How many amplifiers do you have in the system? Do you have any crossovers?

The sub is powered by a class d amp/ the thunderform is a resin material enclosure that houses the sub and amp. It has a built in electronic crossover as well. The Package came with its own wireing harness both the power and ground are 8 gauge. The amp turn on is soldered,heatshrinked, and taped. All other spreakers are run off the headunit only. I have changed the grnd 3 times. I have run the grnd from the hu to the same place the amp is. So you have any suggestions after that? :)