Which speakers and where to mount them?

Options
brentski
brentski Posts: 96
edited May 2003 in Speakers
My current set-up, Room is about 12'W x 15'L
I have a TV at one end and my seating at the other.
(i.e., like the pic. below, however with seat 1' from the BACK wall)
Currently, I have the following Polks; CS-400i-center, RT-55's mains, Rt-35's rears.

I use this primariy for HT use.
I'm purchasing a new Sony 36XBR800 TV and a new 7.1 receiver (yet to be decided)

My room is such that I currently have my rear speakers at ear level,about 2' in front of my listening position
In an attempt at trying a 6.1 set-up, I placed my old center speaker(CS-245) in the wall, 1 ft. behind and 2 ft above my seating position.
What I found is that what I had with the 5.1, now seemed a bit washed out by all the surround sounds, whether they be to the right or left ending up in rear speaker behind me.

My question is this.
If I purchase a pair of FX300's or 500''s to add to the mix, so that I can get a 7.1 set-up, what should go where????

I can mount the side speakers (currently at ear level and 1 ft. in front of me) on the walls so that they'd be about 4 ft. above my listening postion.

At the same time I could mount the rear speakers in the top back,8 ft. high corners of my room so that they face each other or so that they face forward.
Regardless,they'd still be about 1 ft behind me but about 5 ft from my listening position in the corners.

Imagine this picture, with my seat, 1-2' from the back wall, instead of how it is in the pic. and that would give you a decent idea of my layout.
http://www.polkaudio.com/home/technology/bidipole.php?category=6&speaker=45

My questions now are these;

1)do I mount the FX's or the RT's against the side walls? (2 ft in front and 4 ft. above ear level )
*The side spkrs. would be mounted like they are in the pic., with my seat however, near the back wall.

2) how do I mount the speakers in the rear corners above my listening position? Against the side walls facing each other or against the back wall facing forward?
(while the back wall is about 1 ft. behind me, the spkrs. would be about 5 ft. above me in each back corner. about 11 ft. apart)

Any help would be graciously appreciated.
Thank you
Center; CS-400i
Main's; RT-55's
Side Surround's-RT-35's
Rear center;CS-300
Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
Post edited by brentski on

Comments

• brentski
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Anyone ???

Any Suggestions?????

Please!!!!!
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Brentski,
    I have my bi-pole/di-pole speakers on the sides and direct firing speakers for the rear channels. Speaker height should be about 2-3' above and slightly behind your ear when seated. Before you start drilling holes and running wire through the walls you might want to try placing your speakers on some step ladders and try them at various heights and locations. Make sure that you do a quick calibration with your SPL meter after you have moved them around so that you get a good estimate of what the speakers will sound like when you mount them permanently.

If you can avoid putting your primary seating against the back wall you'll be rewarded with better surround effects.

Corner loading your surround or rear channels will result in a lot of reflected sound that will really screw up even the best sound tracks! It will also ruin any decent multichannel music you might otherwise enjoy!

I would also suggest that you check out the following links for more info on proper placement.

www.dolby.com

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=placement

Hope this helps.

BTW, don't aim your surround or rear channel speakers at the listener, doing so will cause the surround effects to be VERY localized, trust me...you won't like it!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • brentski
    edited May 2003
    Options
    In looking at your pictures, the one under the THX poster, it shows your Surround speakers and rear channel speakers.

What is the distance from the surround speaker on the side wall and the rear speaker on the back wall facing forward?
    Also,if you don't mind , where is your seating in relation to your surround speakers? Even with, in front or behind??

With the purchase of some surround speakers(FX/300's or 500's) to place on my side walls, I could mount my RT-35's on the back wall, in from the corners, and facing forward, similar to those in your picture.
    Make sense?

Thanks very much for the help.
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brentski
    I use this primariy for HT use.
    I'm purchasing a ... new 7.1 receiver (yet to be decided)
    Man, you still looking for an AVR?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Frank Z
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brentski
    What is the distance from the surround speaker on the side wall and the rear speaker on the back wall facing forward?
    Also,if you don't mind , where is your seating in relation to your surround speakers? Even with, in front or behind??

The rear speakers are approx 5' apart. the LsiFX speakers are 26" above ear level ( measuered from the bottom of the speaker), and they are approx. 20" behind the primary seats (recliners).
    With the purchase of some surround speakers(FX/300's or 500's) to place on my side walls, I could mount my RT-35's on the back wall, in from the corners, and facing forward, similar to those in your picture.
    Make sense?
    Yeah, I think your describing an installation that would look like mine.
  • brentski
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Also,what is the distance from the speakers on your side wall to the speakers on the rear wall?

Thank you
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • Frank Z
    edited May 2003
    Options
    The fx's are 57" from the rear wall, and 55" from the 7's (measured from the front of each speaker).