Sub Placement In Truck Cab

Jito
Jito Posts: 13
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I recently purchaced some gnx 12's. I built a dual sealed box 1.25 cu. per chamber just like everyone suggested. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on which way they should fire. Up, down, back, ect. There are huge diffrences in sound depending on the placement in the cab. I have a 2002 F-150 ext. cab. Also there is a nasty rattle somewhere behind the rear bench seat, any suggestions??? :confused:
Post edited by Jito on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    my box is built to be placed under the backseat firing forward...most of the installs i see in trucks have them facing down
    as for the rattle...its a ford...:D
    other than that it could be the clips that clip the plastic panels to the metal
    toolbox...headache rack...or even your back seat rattling on the brackets
    my guess would be the clips though
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    and unlik emost other trucks cody's box probably sounds fantastic.

firing subs down blows.

here's why....

normally, you want about 4 - 6 inches between the face of the subwoofer and the next hard surface (floor, wall, whatever). ideally its like 8", but 4-6 works.

when you jam a sub downfiring underneath a rear seat... you're left with 0.75 - 1.5 inches of space for that sub to move.... that's not going to cut the proverbial mustard.

you get a muffled, drowned out, burned out sound, and sometimes even rattly from forcing so much pressure into an area that isn't designed for it...

Cody has his front firing, and from what he says, he loves em... my grandfather has a single 10 front firing and it slams the hell outa his x-cab... I've got two 12's downfiring, but I've also got them right behind the seats (minus the back seat) with 5.75 inches ground clearance and boxes that take up half of my cabin space. were i to have left the seat in, seeing what i've seen and hearing what i've heard, i'd certainly have made a front firing box.

you may end up having to slightly modify your seat a little but one way or another you'll get a box in there front firing, an dit'll sound way better than any downfiring box, thunderform, stealthbox, or whatever that you could use.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited May 2003
    i have a couple of friends that have downward firing boxes under their seats and they sound good for what they are (cheapass pioneer impp's from best buy and alpine type s? i think in the other)
    the only thing i dont like about them is a certain frequency seems to get cut off...but other than that i like them
    but yeah if you can i love my forward facing box
    the box is custom to fit my 96 gmc and to have .88 in^3 in each chamber though
    -Cody
  • Jito
    Jito Posts: 13
    edited May 2003
    My truck has a 60/40 split rear bench I fold up the 60 side. I'm not trying to jam my subs under the rear bench. I bought the F-150 with the extra cab for BASS!!!! No one rides in the back, only subs and amps! So I be as creative as I want with the space. Just looking for peoples past experiences, and suggestions. :D
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited May 2003
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7249
    my truck but now i have the new momo 12s instead of the mm120s in the same box
    im not sure if their is a pic of it but the back seat fits perfectly over the box
    -Cody