New product press releases

fireshoes
fireshoes Posts: 3,167
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
A couple weeks old, but I don't think this has been posted here.
Here are the press releases for the new Momo speakers, subs and amps, and the new db products.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/partners/press/release.php?id=26

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/partners/press/release.php?id=27

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/partners/press/release.php?id=28
Post edited by fireshoes on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2003
    bad choice of name for what ought to be dubbed the EX 4... that "polk intro's new DB line" heading on the page was a major c*ck tease.

'nice' to see that polk is gearing toward the import ricer groupies... that's weak as hell.

maybe they should be 'POLK - APC' woofers instead of POLK - MOMO woofers. Why dont they just throw some japanese random script letters on there too and use eye bleaching neon colors.

i know momo is a euro name but ferrari's are far from rice-buggies.

I like the look of the amps -- the little joint/shroud is cool lookin. more expensive than alpine (which is overpriced) but chances are the msrp will be cut by 20% when you get in store, so 450 for a 500w mono amp that's clean isn't bad... that'll sell well me thinx.

I just don't see how its going to do well for the momo subs... if they're single 4 ohm coil and the amp does 500 x 1 at 2 ohms... then its going to have to be used on either the 8" momo subs or used on those jobber-DB's... which totally goes against the whole idea of "matching" stuff (if used on the jobber-db's).

shoulda grabbed life by the juevos and built a 1000w class AB -- I would have been impressed... really i mean that... i would have been. a 1200w class D with specs something like alpines 1kw mono amp would have been good enough too i believe.

what are people going to run the 15 off of? chances are that's going to be a 600 wrms rated sub -- capable of maybe 750 or so (judging by the performance of the underrated 500w momo 12 that'll do 650-ish)... 300 w at 4 ohms on a 750w sub? bridge the two channel and get 500 x 1 ?? me thinx not. raise the bar on the sub amp and drop the impedance load (dual voice coils would be a MAJOR improvement) and then you've got something going for you.

what's gonna happen is the circuit city junkies will say "oh this 15 will run fine off that mono polk amp" ... and then you'll get people having 250 - 300 watts on a sub that will do its best at 750... and then people will be 1) disappointed in product performance 2) **** whine and moan 3) have no concept of what either of the products can actually do when used properly. that's not good PR.

i'm not trash talking -- i'm offering the opinion of a consumer who's 1) got the interest to buy polk product 2) has the know how to use it and 3) gives a ****. usually, if the circuit city 'tuner' kids (as i guess ricer-boy's have been redubbed) either dont have any of those 3 so they dont buy it, or, they do have all of that and in which case they're going to ask the same questions i'm asking and posing the same issues.

the 150 x 2 @ 4 will be nice for the comps or a single sub 10/12" sub. The 4 channel works only for someone who's got 4 of the coax momo speakers.. that's good though... simplistic. you get points for covering the **** of the guy who wants something that's not extravagant.

I'd like to see a smaller amp as well though... something 50 - 75 x 2 at 4... maybe "half" of the 4 channel... for those people running heavy wattage to front speakers (with the already mentioned 150 x 2 deal) who want low power rear fill ...

-- in short -- good additions would be a small two channel, a large class D (or blessed be an AB that'll do 1200 @ 4 ohms bridged), dual voice coil subs (dual 2 and dual 4 -- i'm sure people can take 5 minutes to learn how to wire them).
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    I will refrain from commenting for fear of offending someone again.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    heh heh heh... so i take it u see some of the same "holes" i do?
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • automaticman
    automaticman Posts: 21
    edited May 2003
    anyone else confused by this:

"Four new models of component subwoofers join the Polk/MOMO line: an 8", 10", 12" and for the first time in Polk Audio's history a 15" model. These models are intended top supplement the already existing MM104 and MM124 Polk/MOMO component subwoofers"

so whats the difference between the MM2124 and the MM124?
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited May 2003
    Exactly, and why are these new subs so much cheaper? I mean, you can barely get a bottom of the line 15" for $219. I didn't really get it at all.
    "The Big C"
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited May 2003
    These woofers are not meant to replace the current MM124 or MM104, they are cheaper woofers. The easiest way to tell them apart is the logo on the cone, or the stamped basket used on the new subs.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    well that sucks
    polk/momo was like the "premier" line...now its just another sub that you can buy at best buy for a 2 for 1 deal for $150....
    well...not totally but in general thats my idea
    -Cody
  • automaticman
    automaticman Posts: 21
    edited May 2003
    It seems like you'll hurt the sales of the MM124 by calling the new woofer MOMO as well. Wouldn't it be smart to add somethign onto the name to distinguish it form the high end MOMO, or vice-versa?
  • Thom
    edited May 2003
    If it was up to me, The Momo would be a mid- level line only. As it's going to be dB will be the new entry level, Momo "carbon series" will be the step- up, and Momo 1.5 (or "classic" Momo) is the best. When the Momo line first launched everyone complained it was too expensive, and sales were less than spectacular. Now that we've brought it down to a reasonable level people are complaining about that. The target audience for the Momo line is the "tuner" crowd, and those guys don't tend to spend as much on their stereos as they do the "performance" (or show) modifications. By bringing Momo down to the price points of the more popular competitors it should appeal to a larger crowd. We're working on stuff for next year that'll be better than anything we've built yet, and I hope we don't call it Momo.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    Originally posted by Thom
    We're working on stuff for next year that'll be better than anything we've built yet, and I hope we don't call it Momo.

I hope you call it the dB line and restore the line to it's rigthtful place in the hierarchy of audio equipment.

It's a travesty that the dB name has been plastered all over a product barely worthy of an EX moniker.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    hey thom...if you need anyone to test those new speakers...lol
    i understand about the marketing and stuff but all companies have the higher end stuff that many people cant afford...i just thought that was the case with the momos and i thought all the new stuff would be up to par or better than the old stuff or called it something different
    but hey...polks making money and thats the point of a business...
    -Cody
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited May 2003
    I dont' think this is a step down. It's almost like Momo is it's own entity this way, if you want the premier, buy the 1.5's. If you want the style of the Momo, but don't wanna part with the cash, buy the carbon. I don't see why there is a reason to complain because they expand a little bit. Let the "tuners" buy the lower line and then those of us who want our stereos to blow them outta the water, we'll buy the classic shiznit. Although I think no matter what we buy, we won't be able to get our volume loud enough to eclipse the power-drill like exhaust pouring from that really super powerful Honda CRX at the stoplight next to us... :lol:

For the record, I drive an Acura but definately do not consider myself a "tuner" man.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    *cracks knuckles* ugh boy... here we go...

1 - i think the "dual line of momo" is kinda ****... if its momo it should be "all the same stuff", ya know? I mean this is polk audio, not momo audio. although i'm guessing once the stuff is out for a month or two people will be able to make the distinction between "upper" and "lower" momo.

2- original old school pricey momo was fine... it was pricey because it was all screwed together / first build / stamped insignia stuff. that's fine... it was what it was, and i think honestly it was worth its price... being an ebay guy, at the time, i coulda got momo 10's for like 200 on ebay (retail was what 325?) ... and at the time, it was worth it to me... had i had the cash, i would have gotten them. my ONLY gripe with old momo was the breakdown (tinsel leads, etc) but the improved momo-II fixed that, and the slight downgrade in cosmetics so as to drop the price i think was a smart move... i like the price and build of the current momo. all i wish it had was DVC 2 and 4 ohm deals instead of single 4's only.

3- the point has been made and i second it... polk's "highest end" stuff should be strickly polk. look at it this way... the ricer kids want flashy momo gear with more options for sizes and stuff and with lower prices -- great -- give them that... but make a small production unit number of HIGH END polk gear... call it DB... call it flagship, call it anything... I could care less what its called... but make it a flat black color, make it built like an tank, and make it precise / accurate / and utterly beautiful. sell it for 350 bucks for a comp set / 250 a sub... you can get away with doing tha tbecause it'll be simple, plain jane, no momo logos, no nothin... just sweet beautiful musical speakers built by the people who have proven in the past that they can build them. By the time I beat the hell out of my DX comps I'm hoping polk has a new shelf model replacement of DB quality available.

4- hire me. put me in charge of quality control of the upper 2 lines... if it doesn't make me happy, it goes back to research and development. within 6 months polk will be making a product that'll rival SEAS and put focal to shame. (oh if the world were made of candy canes and bubblegum).:lol:

5- 219 bucks for a 15 --- mtx 6000 15's are like 175, they're dog ****. alpine type R 15's are like 200 or so... they're pretty damn good actually. ID-Q 15's are 240 and they'll put you in SQ heaven... so dont use the price to judge... use the brand and the perf of the sub itself... there are many inexpensive products that'll outperform stuff that costs twice as much. i'm guessin if this is "midline" as thom says then its going to be like a 300 watt 15... so ehh i dunno... maybe it oughta be more like 175... but if its a rated 500w 15 that does more like 700 in reality and sounds as good as the current momo 12, then its worth 219 retail / 140 ebay.
  • Thom
    edited May 2003
    The two lines of Momo shouldn't be confusing, since there are only a few SKU's of current Momo, and the new stuff is completely different. The subs are very similar, but has the Polk/ Momo logo instead of the Momo arrow logo. From the front or back, a quick glace will tell them apart. Plus the new stuff will outlive the current line by a while...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    Thom -- re new stuff outliving current stuf.... well i hope so -- you guys had to tool up and do product design on the GXR and that's gonna have a life span of what .. 2 yrs? that's gotta cost you guys money to cancel a line after such a short time... and the EXIII coax/components (which are actually something that i would have hoped would have stayed) have only been out like a year and half... it cant be cheap for u guys to nix lines like that.