Does POLK make dedicated midbass speakers??

Options
Vital
Vital Posts: 747
edited February 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I currently have 2 sets of POLK comps, 2 POLK amps and POLK sub.
The only non-polk things i got is 8'' Kicker midbass (not midrange, MIDBASS) and JVC amp.
Jvc amp is about to be replaced with 3rd Polk amp but i'm having difficulties finding Polk's midbass speaker. It could be anywere between 6 and 8'' in size but has to be MIDBASS.

After hours of online search i didnt' find anything. So IS there such thing as Polk's midbass or should i just stick with Kicker?
2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX 5140
Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
Post edited by Vital on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,751
    edited February 2010
    Options
    No. But you might call the 800 number. They might be able to sell you a set of "replacement" drivers for component sets that you can use.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Vital
    edited February 2010
    Options
    yeah, but that will be just another midrange speaker, not midbass ;)
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Jstas
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Vital wrote: »
    yeah, but that will be just another midrange speaker, not midbass ;)

What do you think "midbass" speakers are?

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You want to run a set of db's, a set of momos, a pair of midbass and a sub? Way, way too many speakers.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    What do you think "midbass" speakers are?

There is a difference between a standard 6.5" mid in a component set that is made to play from 40-5000 Hz and a dedicated midbass driver meant to play from 30-200 Hz.

Polk doesnt make a dedicated midbass driver so youll have to look elsewhere. Check out Parts Express. Tang Band makes very solid drivers despite their flea market brand sounding name.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    edited February 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    There is a difference between a standard 6.5" mid in a component set that is made to play from 40-5000 Hz and a dedicated midbass driver meant to play from 30-200 Hz.

30-200 Hz? Really, dude? Check out the specs on your subwoofer. That's not a "midbass", it's a subwoofer.

Go do a search on "midbass drivers" on Google and look at some of the specs for frequency response ranges.

Here are some specs for a Cadence CVLW-64S
    CVLW-64S
    CVL 6.5" MID-BASS DRIVER

6.5" Single Vioce Coil 4 Ohm Mid Bass Driver
    50oz. Magnet Structure
    1.5" 2-Layer High Temperature Voice Coil
    RMS Power: 70
    Peak Power: 140
    Frequency Response: 135Hz-10.5KHz
    Sensitivity: 98db @ 1W/1M
    Mounting Depth 2.25"
    Cloth Surround
    High Strenght Paper Cone
    One Piece Cast Aluminum Basket
    1 Year Warranty

Yes, you read that right. A "midbass" driver responds from 135 Hz to 10,500 Hz. That is way out of your "range". There are many other "midbass" drivers with similar response ranges and characteristics.

• Vital
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Jstas, u can't just go by "frequency range". If that was the case then why is it that some speakers have powerfull midbass and others dont while they both have the same "frequency range". (given that both are tuned and amped the same way offcourse)

Here's a real good article on midbass:
    http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~100789

I'll first try momos in the front doors (instead of bds i currently have) and sub in the trunk. No rear deck speakers for "sub vent". Hopefully momos will give me that midbass i'm after.
    If not i'll go ahead and install my midbass Kickers.

Reason i NEED midbass is because of the music i listen to - hardcore techno (not metal) where bass kick is EVERYTHING!! My current set-up is perfect for rap/drum'n'bass/whatever esle but midbass is lacking when it comes to hardcore.
    I actually went as far as contacting a few very known dj/producers of the genre with a request of giving me a breakdown of frequencies used in their kicks.
    Here's a reply of one of them:

A really good hardcore kick drum has its bass punch in the 125Hz area followed by more bass in the 50Hz area but it also has ALOT of snap and distortion in the 340Hz to 1.2KHz range. There is actually quite a bit of midrange. Speedcore kicks have alot of mids as well - which is where that punch comes from. Alot of producers tweak the **** out of that area. When you think about it, modern industrial hardcore and speedcore tracks are basically ALL kickdrum so its logical that it uses up a huge amount of the frequency spectrum of the song. For anthemy stuff, maybe less

Here is a link to an industrial hardcore type kick I've been **** around with today:

http://www.satronica.com/kik.mp3

And here is what it looks like on a paragraphic display (it was hard to catch it dead on but this is pretty close):
    example.jpg
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Jstas
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I don't need an article on midbass, you aren't going to tell me anything I don't already know.

I did not go on frequency alone. Mac made the statement, I merely responded in kind.

The reason some drivers have a stronger "midbass" than others is driver structure, materials used and crossover points, materials and ranges.

Stop trying to educate me, I've forgotten more about this than most people know.

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Here is a typical 6.5" midbass.

264-874_L.jpg

Here is a 6.5" midrange from the same speaker line.

264-852_L.jpg

Here is a Morel 6" midrange that starts rolling off at 100 Hz.

Here is a Scanspeak midrange that starts rolling off at 200 Hz!

Here is a Morel 6" midbass that although it will reach 5 KHz, it not only drops like a stone at that point but it is so jagged and broken above 1 KHz that you wouldnt want it playing anything above 1 KHz.

Essentially the dedicated midbass driver IS a subwoofer, albeit much smaller. Its frequency response curve may very well reach up to 5,000 but that doesnt mean its going to play that range very well like the Morel midbass above.

The 6.5" drivers that come with the SR6500's are not dedicated midbass drivers. They are midrange drivers that are built to play well into the 40-80 Hz range and also play well into the upper midrange area. However, a dedicated midrange of equal quality would play midrange better and a dedicated midbass driver would pound out kick drum beats better.

A dedicated midbass driver will pound 40-100 Hz and maybe even higher but theyre not going to reproduce 2.5-5 KHz nearly as well for the same reason a subwoofer cant, theyre not built for that. Same reason a 454 cant pull a stump out of the ground but it cant get 35 miles per gallon.

I think we're probably splitting hairs over semantics here John. I get what youre saying as there are lots of woofers out there that play well from 40-5000 Hz just like the SR woofers. Those can be used as either midrange, midbass or both. Im saying that there are distinct difference between a dedicated midbass driver and a dedicated midrange driver and that these drivers will be better at their specific task as opposed to the more "jack of all trades" type woofers you find in component sets.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D