Center Channel Speakers

Options
bolson
bolson Posts: 16
edited May 2003 in Speakers
I am currently building a 6.1 HT setup with LSi9s for the mains, and LSi7's for the surrounds. Being a cost conscious consumer I was thinking that I could get a pair of 9's cheaper than two LSiC's! Does anyone see why I couldn't just use another pair of LSi9's to function as center channel speakers? Perhaps lay them on their sides?

Call me crazy but to this newbie it seems to be a practical way to go.
Post edited by bolson on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited May 2003
    Options
    If it were my money and you HAD to have the rear center I would go with the pair of lsi9's. They will blend seemlessly together since all the front 3 speakers are identicle. The only issue you might have by setting an lsi9 on it's side is sound dispersion problems. The 9's are probably designed to be setting upright... someone else might have to chime in on this subject...

maybe only lay it on its side when not in use, set it up-right when in use.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2003
    Options
    bolson, why do you want a pair of center channel?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • bolson
    edited May 2003
    Options
    1 - front center
    1 - rear center
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2003
    Options
    got it...I would think it should work fine but no real experience on this. Do you have a 6.1 amp/receiver? the only thing that I would consider is, if you upgrade to 7.1 amp/receiver, then most of the processors matrix left surround and left surroundback together, and same thing with the right channel, on those non 6.1 source or for audio simulation, and that means you might have to by half-a-pair of either.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • bolson
    edited May 2003
    Options
    My receiver is only a 6 channel rig. I was thinking that if I ever decided to upgrade to a 7 channel setup, then I would just buy the LSiC or some other "center channel" speaker. I am just curious if there is any sonic difference between the LSiC and an LSi9. I know that the LSiC is not as deep but that's not a problem with my entertainment center.
  • bolson
    edited May 2003
    Options
    deep as in depth of the cabinet not to be confused with bass...