2005 Tacoma Radio problem

Options
Vette C6.r
Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
edited February 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, I need some help with a wierd problem. I have a 05 Tacoma and the factory radio keeps changing channels. The problem comes and goes and usually only moves the FM dial .2 off the designated channel but sometimes it just goes crazy and moves up and down quite a bit.

Anyone else have this problem. I have checked wiring and the antenna hook-up, all are tight and not frayed.

Is this a problem with the radio or something else. i.e the control knobs on the steering wheel.

Thanks in advance.

Tony
Post edited by Vette C6.r on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2010
    Options
    No idea of whats causing the problem, but one solution would be to upgrade the hu. Swap the factory hu with a good alpine, pio, kenwood, eclipse unit. That would be a start. You can then see if you want to upgrade the speakers as well.
  • fj_az
    fj_az Posts: 22
    edited February 2010
    Options
    X2 upgrade the hu and when you do slap in a pac swi so you can keep the steering wheel controls. I don't know you may even get better reception with an aftermarket hu.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Been to the Toyota forum? They have a rabid fan base...much like here. Club-Toyota....Toyotanutz....PM Shawn474.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited February 2010
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Been to the Toyota forum? They have a rabid fan base...much like here.

Yep, sure do, and they never stop with it. They just keep going, like a juggernaut, completely unstoppable... :p
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Yep, sure do, and they never stop with it. They just keep going, like a juggernaut, completely unstoppable... :p

Just like my Toyota keyboarrrrrrrdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd....
  • Vette C6.r
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thanks Doro. Just trying to avoid another addicting website.

I guess another recall is in order !!!!!!!!!!!

Damn Toyota's
  • concealer404
    edited February 2010
    Options
    phuz wrote: »
    Just like my Toyota keyboarrrrrrrdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd....

Yusss!!!! Someone got it!

But seriously Tony, check out Toyotanation.com. I'm sure you're not the first to experience this, and there's a lot of handy people over there. They may be able to help you out. Sorry to hear about the diminished quality in new Toyotas. :( I'll stick with my 90s models. :D
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• Vette C6.r
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thanks guys. I posted it on Toyotanutz. What's up with the regulars wandering off to the car audio section ????
  • concealer404
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I read over here from time to time... don't post a whole lot, since i haven't really done any major installs in years...

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Waaaaaaa! Hahahaha! Funniest thing I've heard all week!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You may be able to do what I did and drop a Scion HU in there, I have a 2004 4Runner, and the Scion was a direct replacement. If it'll work for you, I'd recommend it as it's a HUGE improvement over the stock Toyota radio, don't ask me why they made the decision to put a better radio in a cheaper car.

I don't know if they're all the same, but but actually has Pioneer Premier on the white label on top, it's a MUCH better HU than the stock radio. I have the T1804 in mine, but I believe there are newer models with more native iPod support.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited February 2010
    Options
    As for your problem, I would check the wiring harness that plugs into the back of the radio, check to make sure that it's plugged in all the way (probably is) and check to make sure that there are no loose wires within the harness itself (more likely)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I don't know about flashier, it actually looks stock in my 4Runner, but it sure sounds better. I do think the newer models are a bit flashier though and allow you to change colors and such
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2010
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Been to the Toyota forum? They have a rabid fan base...much like here. Club-Toyota....Toyotanutz....PM Shawn474.

How rabid? Is it more or less than the ED forum? :)