MM6 Amps JL Bad?

rkreeves
rkreeves Posts: 1
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok have been doing some searching of past post on this subject, here's what i got.. I have an Alpine 7893 not using any of the power off of it.. I just installed a set off mm6 in the rear seating compartment of my jeep, right now they are hooked up to an alpine v12 353, which also has a pair of 4 x 6 for the front and a single 10 inch sub in the back. They sound really nice but I feel a bit underpowered, especially with the top down. I was looking to get a 2 channel amp just for the mm6's and was looking at the jl 300.2 like 150 watts at 4 ohms. (least that is what they say), it seems evryone isn't too keen on the JL brand, why's that? Also any other suggestion with model #'s. I have found the JL amp for 299 and would like to keep price under 400. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Also if I pull the mm6 off of my alpine amp will I be able to push more thru my sub channel? That will probably be next replacement a new sub but not for a bit.. I am sure the sub in there could handle a bit more...

Thanks! :D
Post edited by rkreeves on

Comments

• ChevyMan4x4
    ChevyMan4x4 Posts: 52
    edited May 2003
    Not to step on anyones toes I like JL they make a good sub for the money I currently run 2 JL w6 and and a 1000.1 JL amp good stuff your call though
    Sir Daniel X. Boom - the GNX slayer
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    ok i was like halfway done writing this when it deleted...so here we go again...
    jl is bad b/c its over priced for what you get
    its okay quality stuff...but the price is PREMIUM
    you want to look for an amp with these specs
    if its rated at 13.8 volts or less:
    75-125x2 @4ohms
    if its rated at 14.4 volts:
    100-150x2 @4ohms
    your car runs from 12.4-13.8 volts
    so amps rated at 13.8 or less is actually what ull get
    if its rated at 14.4v youre going to get a little less b/c ur car doesnt run at 14.4
    amps to look at:
    rockford fosgate punch 360.2 = $289 www.carstereotime.com
    mtx T6500D
    same site $305
    alpine MRV-T420
    $295
    but since you gave me a $400 limit
    my pick is the hifonics XI-THOR
    $399
    Rockford Fosgate 501S
    www.carmedia1.com
    $249
    the 501s is my second choice
    i have a rf power 500.2
    and the amp is too big for those speakers
    i had to turn the gain way down and its a waste of money to have a huge amp and then not use it all
    but for $249....you cant beat the 501s in my opinion...if i had money...id go with the hifonics...but i dont...so my choice would be the 501s
    -Cody
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited May 2003
    I would disagree with you in a way. I personally feel like JL is a great quality company. I will agree that you do pay a top of the line price of something that maybe isn't completely top of the line. But I think you could find JL amps and subs online for a fair price and it would be worth it. IE... I would pay 350 for a 500/1 amp in a heartbeat. Anything over that, you're right, I could find better for cheaper.
    LOL... in conclusion... yes you do pay the price for them, but in the long run you will probably be happy overall with what you get.
    IMO.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    the only sub JL makes that's worth having is the 13-w7 -- and for the cost.. it's an utter joke.

you cannot find the 13-w7 for less than 500 bucks anywhere (that is without warranty from a non authorized dealer).

it will not handle over 1000 watts rms.

it has a garbage foam surround.

it is poorly assembled -- well desgned, very well... but poorly assembled.

--- i've talked to about 20 people who've blown a w7 (whether 10/12/ or 13 -- most on 12's)... and they were all utterly disgusted with its performance.

for the cost of one w7 w/ out warranty you could get two IDmaxes without warranty --- and the max does 1500 rms (well beyond its rating), has a larger cone area, a progressive roll butyl rubber surround, and is assembled by one of the nicest guys in the world - fred - if he screws it up, he'll have it fixed in 3 days.

i could say the same about an adire brahma or a soundstream davinci -- actually probably much better things about the davinci. but alas, i've yet to own either.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited May 2003
    Ah yes, however the W7's are also designed to be some of the most efficient subs out there. True they have a high break down rate when pushed beyond their limits, but if you are going to own one of these subs, why try and push it? The argument could go either way. Yes for 500 bucks you can get a Brahma, IDMax, Phoenix Gold Titanium Elite, etc... that will handle extreme amounts of power, but I would also like to bet that if you hooked all 4 of these subs up to 500 watts, the W7 is going to absolutely destroy the competition in both SPL and SQ. But I do agree that the price of these subs in a complete joke for what you get as you can get much better subs for that amount of money. I've owned a pair of JL 8W0's, and a pair of 10W0's, and I ran them off of about 200 watts a piece, and they were extremely loud and great sounding(for what they were). I ran them for over a year, hard all the time and ended up selling them for $10 less than what I bought them for. :)
    "The Big C"
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    JL=Bose=Over-hyped.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    JL = "Just Lost" every run in the lanes (sq or spl).
  • Keske944
    Keske944 Posts: 134
    edited May 2003
    $500 a piece for the JL wothout a warrenty!!!!! What are these people thinking! You can almost get two MM12's for that price with a three year warrenty. And i'm sure that teh MOMO's will do a lot better in the lanes than the JL's will.
    Patience... patience...

Screw patience... Crank the volume and floor it you panzie.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    well i think two momo 12's would sound acoutically better than one 13w7... however, i think if put in a fantastic vented enclosure built by an installer who really knew his **** -- u can probably swing 150 with a single JL13w7 -- but it would sound like dog doo... for best performance (soundwise) they recc a sealed box, in which case, you're prolly right, two momo 12's would do the same or better SPL
  • MOMOcivic
    MOMOcivic Posts: 20
    edited May 2003
    I personaly saw 2 MM124's hit 143 in my own rizide!!
    1 pair MM124
    2 pair MM6 6.5
    1 Rockford 700s for the subs
    1 Rockford 500x for the seperates
    1 Rockford One Farad Cap
    Sony Xav-7w head unit
    All Monster wire, RCA's, fuse blocks and battery terminals.