DIY Record Cleaner with a Technics TT

Options

Comments

• jrgoswick
    jrgoswick Posts: 159
    edited March 2010
    Options
    PAINT????? WTF????? I think it's EFFING sexy as is. But that's me.
    +1 for the ingenuity of this project, totally groovybitchin!
    Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
    Onkyo M-501-Given to my father.
    Onkyo DX-C730 CD Changer
    Onkyo DV-BD507 Blu Ray player
    Onkyo CP-1036A turntable with Grado, Audio Technique, and Azden cartridges(GOT CARTRIDGE??)
    Polk Monitor 12's with RDO's and XO's
    Polk CS300 Center
    Polk Monitor Series 4 rears

EBAY is like cocaine. At first you only look, next thing you know, your house is full of crap you have no idea why you own.:eek:
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited March 2010
    Options
    High marks on the metal work Larry! I'm anxious to see the finished product. Bet you are too.:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well since I have to be at the shop today, ( I was to be picking up a set of 3.1tl's) :( I got this welded up and did some grinding and put the DA to it.

RCM003-1.jpg
    RCM001.jpg
    RCM002.jpg
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That is some impressive creative work !

awesome !
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Larry, is that a delrin tube you are using for vacuuming?
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Larry, is that a delrin tube you are using for vacuuming?

Not Yet but will be.. Don't you worry..;) I just used this for testing. after talking to you a few weeks ago about using delrin I plan to get some..
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well I got her back from paint, now I just got to get her up and running.
    I will do the lexan cover sometime this week. Should be cleaning some vinyl by the end of the week..:cool:

I told Brad at the paint shop to surprise me with the paint and boy was I surprised.

RCM020.jpg
    RCM018.jpg
    RCM017.jpg
    RCM019.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,115
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That looks to sweet to be believed, man. Great job!!!

Hmmmm, now if this could only make the demo circuit for a proper review.:D;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Sweet!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Copestetic! :cool:

What's with the orbs in the pics though, Larry? Poltergeists? :D

Must Be Poltergeists..:D I need to clean the lens. the pics do the paint job no justice but still cool in its own way..
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,115
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Copestetic! :cool:

What's with the orbs in the pics though, Larry? Poltergeists? :D

Good catch Mike.

That one on the side looks like the Stay-Puft Marshmellow Man from Ghostbusters:p...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That looks to sweet to be believed, man. Great job!!!

Hmmmm, now if this could only make the demo circuit for a proper review.:D;)
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Sweet!

Thanks Guys..;)
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Nice Larry. It sure beats the look of the 16.5. BTW, what's materials make up that clamp? Also, how does it work meaning how does it do the clamping job? Also do you use it on your turntable(s)?
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Excellent work!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Nice Larry. It sure beats the look of the 16.5. BTW, what's materials make up that clamp? Also, how does it work meaning how does it do the clamping job? Also do you use it on your turntable(s)?

The Clamp is a ClearAudio Clamp I got off ebay... The top twist and locks it with a collet body.Yes I do use it on my TT.

But I should have sold this TT and got a real RCM?? as was stated in the beginning of this thread. How dare I take on a project like this using a TT i spent $30 on and I still only have $60 into.

That was being sarcastic by the way.. LOL:)

and Thanks Joe.;)
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ABsolutely amazing, very fitting to match the quality of the TT,
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,204
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Looks nice, but how does it actually work? It seems to me that 33RPM might be way too fast for vacuum cleaning. VIP and the others spin around 10-16RPM and have much greater torque than the Technics. That just seems like a lot of work for something that might not work very well.

Great work on the cabinet though. I would consider selling the SL1200 and using the money towards a VPI 16.5. You could still use the cabinet for holding supplies.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The Clamp is a ClearAudio Clamp I got off ebay... The top twist and locks it with a collet body.Yes I do use it on my TT.

But I should have sold this TT and got a real RCM?? as was stated in the beginning of this thread. How dare I take on a project like this using a TT i spent $30 on and I still only have $60 into.

That was being sarcastic by the way.. LOL:)

and Thanks Joe.;)

That's a very good clamp Larry and it uses the same basic design for clamping as mine.

+1 on the torque thing. Maybe you could adjust it to turn more slowly.
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Looks nice, but how does it actually work? It seems to me that 33RPM might be way too fast for vacuum cleaning. VIP and the others spin around 10-16RPM and have much greater torque than the Technics. That just seems like a lot of work for something that might not work very well.

Great work on the cabinet though. I would consider selling the SL1200 and using the money towards a VPI 16.5. You could still use the cabinet for holding supplies.

I have tested it before I built the cabnet and the nice thing about using the technics is you can slow the speed down lower then 33rpm with this being a DJ TT it worked great. Trust me I had to test it before I went any further into it. if it wasen't going to work I would have just sold it then.

The big test will be later this week though..;)
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Super job. Love the stardust look.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That's a very good clamp Larry and it uses the same basic design for clamping as mine.

+1 on the torque thing. Maybe you could adjust it to turn more slowly.

Yeah but yours is better (the clamp) let me get my 2 projects out of the way and we will talk more about that.

You can adjust the speed to a lower speed, one of the reasons I wanted a Technics or AT.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Very snazzy a helluva nice project!!!

I too have concerns about the rotation speed for cleaning records. The pitch control is only good for 8% in either direction so your still at around 29-30 rpm at the slowest speed which is still about twice as fast as what would be considered ideal.

Let us know how it works out, hopefully it will do what you want it to do.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Exceptionally nice looking! Great job!

Have you thought about where the excess fluid from spraying rinse or cleaning solution will migrate? I know the VPI motor, etc are sealed. I usually have a pool of water from my spray bottles around the perimeter of the VPI TT.

Great setup!
    Carl

• BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2010
    Options
    when i get my **** fired Tool, i'm moving up to coloroddy and you're going to employ me. i got some manufacturing skills. consider this my application and my sda's are on my resume.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2010
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Exceptionally nice looking! Great job!

Have you thought about where the excess fluid from spraying rinse or cleaning solution will migrate? I know the VPI motor, etc are sealed. I usually have a pool of water from my spray bottles around the perimeter of the VPI TT.

Great setup!

Carl,

Just an FYI. When I use the spray bottle from my Vinyl-Zyme Gold, I hold the record in my hand with my middle finger in the hole and the edge against the heal of my hand. I then spray 8 to 10 sprays on around the record then place it on the turntable and apply with a four inch foam paint brush.

The rest of the fluids I apply on the turntable with a squirt bottle and place a line of fluid on the radius from the lead out groove to the lead in grove then scrub in with VPI/MFSL brushes depending on the fluid.
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That is one wicked awesome RCM!! Nice job. Now to complete the look I think a mirror disco ball hanging over top would be in order.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    WOW!! This project turned out awesome, just did some testing and what a killer unit. Now if my delrin tube would get here. The RPM was not an issue at all it sucked it up dry.

Joe I will PM you later, I need some info and I am typing from my iPod.

I will also post some pics of the inside.

Larry.
  • jrgoswick
    jrgoswick Posts: 159
    edited March 2010
    Options
    MAN-you had it painted. Just my taste, but the raw metal thing had me going. Either way, still a groovybitchin' project.
    Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
    Onkyo M-501-Given to my father.
    Onkyo DX-C730 CD Changer
    Onkyo DV-BD507 Blu Ray player
    Onkyo CP-1036A turntable with Grado, Audio Technique, and Azden cartridges(GOT CARTRIDGE??)
    Polk Monitor 12's with RDO's and XO's
    Polk CS300 Center
    Polk Monitor Series 4 rears

EBAY is like cocaine. At first you only look, next thing you know, your house is full of crap you have no idea why you own.:eek:
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Great to hear Larry. Excellent work.
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Getting there.. all I have left to do is the lexan cover, Delrin tube,Latch for the door, and mod the switch for the vacuum on the side of the cabnet so I don't have to open the door to turn it on and off.

RCM006-1.jpg
    RCM005-2.jpg
    RCM004-2.jpg