can you increase the sub out signal??

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
Ok it seems my integra sub out is weak, i calibrate everything and the sub is at 12-1 O'clock, and the bass is weak,, i had to turn the sub volume up and the receiver sub out up a few notches, and it always seems to have to be at +1 or +2, alot of people speak of minus settings on the subs, let me know if thier is a way to increase the output of the pre out for the sub, when i used the L R inputs on the sub instead of the LFe it was louder, but maybe because i was double filtering and increasing the bass only becuase it was crossed at the reciever and sub, let me know
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Options
    If the Integra sends a weak sub pre-out signal, you can crank it up, but yes, some AVRs start to distort the sub pre-out when you get into the positive range.

Going to L/R will add 3 dB of volume, and this is OK as long as you crank the 404's filter all the way to its highest setting to avoid cascading the filters in the AVR and the sub.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • faster100
    edited May 2003
    Options
    good deal, That is i suppose what i must do, Run sub out into my sub cable and into a Y splitter then into the subs left and right RCA inputs..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I didn't notice a huge difference in using the Y-splitter, but some people have. I still use it, due to the fact that even if I can't hear it boldly, it seems like the better solution based on what others have said.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • faster100
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Just ordered a Y adapter from circuit city to pick up today, The one i had was 2 female to1 male, I got a Monster 1 female to 2 male and that will work fine with my new acoustic research sub cable, Thanks Doc
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I just called Integra and found out the sub pre out is crossed at 80hz and below is what he said on the phone, so i guess that is better then 100 like some of the receivers...... I am off to get my sub Y adapter, will chime in later with the results
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    faster,
    Is your sub placement optimal relative to your listening position? Could it be you are listening in a cancellation zone?

EDIT: Just noticed in your "thanks doc" thread that all is well...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2003
    Options
    On all three of my Onkyo's (same company as Integra) the sub output at 0 often wasn't strong enough. So you're not the only one who has to set it to +1 or +2. And as long as it sounds clean, you don't need to worry about moving the knob past 12 or 1 o'clock, it's not likely to hurt the sub if there's no distortion.