Source seepage

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited May 2003 in Electronics
Our "two channel rig" is powered by an old Onkyo receiver (TX-84). Lately, we've noticed that if you have CD selected as the source, AND another source is *on* (such as the VCR is on but 'video 1' is not selected), we can hear the unselected (but powered) source quieter but very distinct through the system. If the CD isn't actually playing, then we can easily hear the audio from the VCR. I know this is (or was, at least) a not uncommon problem with lower-priced gear, but this Onkyo has never done it and it twernt no lower-priced piece of gear when it was new, AND even the worst I've heard wasn't this bad.

Edit: I haven't checked the other combinations, such as seeing if I can hear the CD playing when video is selected... I'll have to try that, see how extensively this is occurring.

Obviously the solution right now is to have only one source powered at a time.... but I'm just curious if anyone has had this change occur (Onkyo or not), or if you've heard ANYTHING that may prove useful. This doesn't seem like a problem that a blast of air could resolve.. but I may try that.

Thanks.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'll bet you have some dust accumulated on the inside of the Onk which is causing your problem. I would at least remove the cover and vacuum it out.

Just a thought?
    "BTW I'm not implying at all", that you don't maintain your equipent but as time passes dust does makes its way into the inside of your equipment.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'll second the good cleaning. Also disconnect/connect all your components a couple of times. It may just be that the CD or VCR cable isn't all the way seated.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    Just a thought?
    "BTW I'm not implying at all", that you don't maintain your equipent but as time passes dust does makes its way into the inside of your equipment.

HBomb

No offense taken.. and you're absolutely right. I used to clean pretty regularly, but the more complicated the set up.. aw..****.. it doesn't matter why.. I'm sure it could use a good cleaning. I think I'll both vacuum AND blow. I've got a mini air compressor that should do the job nicely. Thanks, guys. This is going to be a pain in the **** getting this thing out and opened up... but worth it if the problem is sol-ved.

I *think* I've mentioned this... but I had to replace the car's CD player last year... intermittent shorting, just REALLY odd electrical behavior... fifty two cents inside the unit.. two quarters and two pennies and I'm pretty sure I know which "just-turned-3" year old boy did that back when he was 2.