I need more our of my HD sound system

BIGG Jim
BIGG Jim Posts: 5
edited February 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 2004 Electra Glide Classic and I need to make some audio upgrades before spring hits here in the Midwest. Being a 2004 I am handicap with the old (none HK system update of 2005) but I have a satellite radio and IPOD in use with my stock HD radio system. I did replace the fairing speakers with a pair of MOMO speakers and a 70 watt ( I think 70 watt) 2 channel amp I purchased from a company called **** Foundry. This is where I need some help. The MOMO speakers appear to be beaten-worn out sounding, especially when I use with my iPOD. I’m sure the digital quality is what I am hearing.
I would like to replace the MOMO's with something new Like Polks MM5251's and possibly do a subwoofer mounted into a saddle bag to achieve some sense of base.
What recommendations would anyone have ?
Speakers need to replace the stock size which I believe is 5.25" subwoofer needs to be a marine quality water proof variety.
And being a rookie to this type of DIY what else do I need ?
Subwoofer amp ? and so on ?

Thanks for the assistance.
Jim
Post edited by BIGG Jim on

Comments

• BIGG Jim
    BIGG Jim Posts: 5
    edited February 2010
    What I am hearing is very Tinney sounding very high tones pushed too far??? Tough to explain that’s why I think it’s because of the digital iPOD. Maybe it won’t be so noticeable if I actually had some base !

The Amp that is in there now is roughly 5w x 6d x 2h. I am leaving for a ten day business trip where I'll have little excess to the web. But when I return I am going to take the fairing off and start to look things over. As far as Sub space I am limited by depth more then a circumference, but again I will measure the space when I return….would the sub require a separate AMP ?
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2010
    I ran the momos for two and half years and enjoyed every minute of listening to them. They certainly weren't tinny and did not have highs that felt over stretched.

I think the problem lies in the source and the amp. A weak signal at source, with some distortion, amplified by an unknown amp with gains set high is where the problem lies. The momos are just reproducing that distortion. If you swapped out the momos with a cheap pair of Jensen coax's the problem would be gone. Or you could try and set the gains real low on your amp till you upgrade the rest of the equipment.

Contrary to popular belief, you would hear the distortion and the amps clipping in your upper mids and highs, not in your mid bass or lows.