Gxr 124

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey i was wondering if anyone could help me find an amp to power 2 Polk Audio GXR 124's, if anyone has an good suggestion let me know.
thanks
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    i dont really have the time to look up amps for you...but what you want to look for is about a 300-350 watt amp at 2 ohms
    thats rms power
    peak power means NOTHING...no really..it doesnt...
    its how companies like sony sell their stuff
    brands to look for
    rockford fosgate
    mtx
    us acoustics
    make sure the amp is capable of being "bridged" which most are...and should not be a problem...if it doesnt say...just ask up and someone here will know
    if youll go to www.crutchfield.com and look around at their amps...they have a huge selection and if u have any questions they have a great customer service line thats open late
    or you can always post here
    if you find the amp you want and want to make sure its right for your speakers just ask us
    when you find the amp you want check out these websites for it...if they have them they will almost definitely be cheaper than anywhere else you can find
    www.carmedia1.com
    www.electronicscity.com (im not sure if they sell amps..but i bought my radio from there and it was REALLY cheap)
    www.carstereotime.com
    www.onlinecarstereo.com
    feel free to ask if you have anymore questions
    -Cody
  • boominnjoe
    boominnjoe Posts: 9
    edited May 2003
    i have a pair of gxr 12's and i had an mtx 4250 mono block amp running them and they sound great. its like the last guy said something running 300-350 watts but the quality of the amp is a key thing.( example ) dont buy cheap like jensen or some cheap brand cause it does matter. i probably wasnt much help but that i would reply.......peace :D :cool: :D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    the mtx 4250D is approximately 300 - 350 watts rms at 2 ohms and 14.4 volts. so cody's statement holds perfectly.

Alpine MRP M-350 (350 x 1 at 2 ohms) -- 200 bucks at crutchfield.com
    MTX 311D (310 x 1 at 2 ohms) -- 220 bucks at crutchfield.com
    MTX 250D / 4250D (300 - 350 x 1 at 2 ohms) -- ebay it for about 150 / 175 -- its old stock everywhere else.
    Profile CL600M (450 x 1 at 2 ohms) -- 169 bucks at crutchfield
    RF Punch 301M (300 x 1 at 2 ohms) -- 199 @ crutch
    RF Power 351M (350 x 1 at 2 ohms) -- 250 @ crutch

any of those will work... I'd go with the alpine mrp-m350 or the mtx4250d for sake of price and the best power. profile isn't anything special.

there are far better amps out there, but they're gonna cost you... one of these days someone's gonna knock me for readin right outa the damn catalog, but i really don't care -- fact is, they're cheap, they do the job, and they're easy to find... so voila.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited May 2003
    Hey i was looking around and i found a Power Acoustic amp that puts out 820watts max and 180x2 @ 4ohms, for $124.99 is that a good deal or not. I found it at www.justamps.com
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    truthfully...from what i can tell...almost all the amps on that site are junk
    go to www.carmedia1.com
    on the left side it says car audio
    click that
    then it gives you a list of different brands
    on the top click alpine
    then click on amplifiers
    the third amp down is the Alpine MRP-M350 Mono Amplifier
    its $149.00 w/ free shipping
    that is a great deal on that amp
    i really do think that that is the best amp for that price and your set up
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited May 2003
    I was looking on that site and i found the Pioneer GM-X972 2 Channel Amplifier it puts out 150x2 (4ohm) 200x2 (2ohm) continous power for 119.00. I guess what i want it the most bang for the buck, im sure you guys feel the same on that one.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited May 2003
    I have another question, there are alot of wires out there to hook up amps with, does it matter what you use or is quality a big issue when you hook up your system with wires and what would you guys reccamend to use.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    hey steve if you're gonna go with that pio amp.. thats fine.. just get the dual 4 ohm coil GNX's -- that way you can series / parallel them to a single 4 ohm load -- that way u get 200 watts per sub instead of 150. now THAT is the best bang for the buck.

far as wiring - you'll need an 8 gauge wiring kit for that amp. the cheaper the better... just make sure its not thick windings in the wire -- that stuff sucks... fine thread/winding 8 gauge with a 30 amp fuse ought to be fine. lightning audio / streetwires / fosgate / stinger / scosche...

stinger 8 gauge at sounddomain is like 0.75 cents a foot. look for the cheapest fuse holder on earth and two ring terminals and you're set --- get away a lot cheaper (and with ebtter stuff) than a pre-made kit.
  • Systems
    edited May 2003
    I already got 2 GXR 124's, would that Pioneer amp do the job ??
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    ya -- the pio will work... 150 is allright for those subs. i didn' tknow u had the subs yet -- if u didn't obviously the 8 ohm would give u 50 watts more a sub, however, considering u already do... 150 watts a sub is close enough to the recc 175 to do fine.

:)
  • Systems
    edited May 2003
    Couldnt you create a 2ohm load with the 2, 4ohm sub to create a 2 ohm load and then it will put 200watts into each. I think ya can do that unless im mistaken.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    to get 200 w to each sub you'll need to either...

1- put a 2 ohm load on EACH channel
    2- put a 4 ohm load on the BRIDGED channel

two 4 ohm speakers = 2 ohm load.

so you've got one two ohm load... you can put that on one channel... and you'll get 200 watts out of that channel, but since there are two speakers on it, you'll only get 100 watts per speaker.

if you put that 2 ohm load on the bridged channel, you would most likely fry that amplifier, as it is only rated to withstand a 4 ohm load in bridged mode.

typically, people buy 4 ohm subwoofers in pairs when they are using a mono 2 ohm stable amplifier.

in contrast, they buy dual 4 ohm / 8 ohm subs when they are using a 4 ohm stable bridgedable class AB amplifier.

obviously this stereotype does not hold true throughout, but in the case of entry level, its true as true gets.
  • Systems
    edited May 2003
    So i should just hook up each speaker to both channels to get 150watts rms to each, will that be enough to run them ??
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    ya just wire one to each channel - so u get 150 / sub... that'll do it dude.

:)