tweeter install

wrenchmnky
wrenchmnky Posts: 7
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Can I t tap into the dash speakers to run my tweeters. what would be the best way to install these?

Thanks in advance
Mark

:confused:
Post edited by wrenchmnky on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    momo tweeters?

u can run a passive crossover which would send lower freq to your dash speakers and higher to your tweet.

however i thinku should give us a better idea of what your'e working with... are u using deck power (factory or aftermarket) or amp power? what kind of speakers are in your dash... what kinda car... do you have door speakers as well? etc etc...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • wrenchmnky
    wrenchmnky Posts: 7
    edited May 2003
    Its a 94 Silverado. I have Alpine 100w 2 way 4x6 dash speakers, Kenwood 200w 2 way 6x9's in the rear, and a MTX Thunderform under the seat. Powered by a Kenwood KDC 322 head unit along with a Kenwood KDC C719 Disc changer. I am stuck for space because I use the truck for a family butt hauler at times. I hope this answers your questions.

Mark
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    yup, that clears it up.

so basically you're just trying to add a pair of tweeters to your front stage.

well... then you need to keep two things in mind...
    1- get efficient tweeters that are made to be able to run off of head unit power (like 30 x 2) or else they wont sound right.
    2- you can just tie into your front dash speaker wires... just jump + to + and - to -.... this is assuming your tweets come with a supplied crossover.

IF the tweeters DONT come with a built on (or supplied) crossover, then place a 10 microfarad capacitor on the positive wire of each tweeter. this will cut the tweeters off at 4,000 hertz at 6db/ octave -- its not the best crossover on earth, but 10 microfarad caps can be had for a dollar each at radio shack, so its a cheap and easy fix, and for low power it really is fine.

here's the link to the radio shack cap -->
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F002%5F016%5F000&product%5Fid=272%2D999

it is part number 272-999

hope this helps :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge