Help with SDA interconnect between speakers!!!

Options
Mossy
Mossy Posts: 21
I just recieved the interconnect cable that goes between my left and right SDA 2 speakers. I have a yamaha rxv 800 reciever driving those sda's for my mains, rt 5's for surrounds, cs 400 for center, and psw 450 for my sub. When I tried to watch a dvd, and I had the interconnect hooked up...my reciever's protection circuit activated and shut off. When I unhooked the interconnect between my sda's...it works fine. What is wrong here? my reciever is set on 8 ohms now...should I change it to 4 ohms? Do I really need the interconnect cable between my sda's? Please...somebody help me!!!
Post edited by Mossy on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Mossy,
    The issue is your amp is not a common ground design. There is a different interconnect you can make that will allow your Yammie to power your 2's.
    Just reply to the e-mail I just sent you and I'll attach a pdf file I got from F1 and send it to you.
    I think F1 got the file from Polk.

ATC,
    Is the interconnect you need to build that expensive? I haven't looked into it as yet because I won't need it unless I decide to run my SRS's with bridged mono amps... and that won't happen in the near future.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Mossy
    edited May 2003
    Options
    you mean my yamaha rxv-800 is not a common ground design? I thought that almost every reciever out there today was common ground? I guess I still have a lot to learn about this hobby.
  • Mossy
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Maybe I didn't make myself too clear...I don't have separates. I just have the 5.1 surround reciever.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Mossy,

Where did you get the cable from?

Yes, the SDA's will sound much better with the cable than without.

I did a search and see that in Jan. you were asking the same question. It was suggested that you contact Ken Swaugger at Polk to discuss your problem. Have you not done that? I'm not familiar with that Yammie, but it could be that it's not a common-ground reciever and you would need the AI-1 interconnect or s**t can the Yammie and move up the ladder.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I don't know guys, something funny going on here.

ATC, have you talked about this with Ken Swaugger?

All I can say is once you've experienced the sound of "True Stereo"(SDA's), there is no going back.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited May 2003
    Options
    ATC,

Send me your addy, HERE and I'll send you the .pdf.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Got 'em covered F1...

Mossy and ATC... y'all got mail.

ATC, don't know what happened the first go 'round. Couldn't be that I forgot to attach the attachment :rolleyes:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Thanks Tour, you the man!

President of Club Polk