ps3 harddrive size

Options
jabrax
jabrax Posts: 315
edited February 2010 in Video Games
How are the harddrives used for ps3"s

Im looking to pick one up and notice that there is a wide range of hd sizes.

I plan to use it for netflix streaming and as another blueray player.

I found one with a 40gb harddrive for 190 bucks. Would I be restricting things buying such a small drive vs the 250's and up?

Thanks,
Jeff
TV...............Hitachi 42hdS52a plasma (sexy one with the swival)
Pre/Processor - Emotiva MMC
Seven Ch AMP - Emotiva LPA
Fronts - Tyler Acoustics 7U's
Center - Polk LSIC
Sub - DSWPRO600
DAC - Music Hall 25.3CD - Marantz cc4001
Blue Ray - PS3
Speaker cables - Audioquest cv4 dbs
Interconnects - MIT AVT1's
Power Filter....Monster HTS 3500 MKII
Post edited by jabrax on

Comments

• jdwmap
    jdwmap Posts: 116
    edited February 2010
    Options
    you can upgrade the drive, from the online instructions it is relatively easy to do.
  • jabrax
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Assume there is a cost for that?
    What situation would require a larger harddrive?
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    Blue Ray - PS3
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I'm confused. You don't need much (any?) hard drive space available to use netflix streaming and for blu-ray playback.

You use the hard drive for storage of game data, downloaded videos/movies, etc. Are you running out of hard drive space? If not, why bother?
  • grif32
    grif32 Posts: 267
    edited February 2010
    Options
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    I'm confused. You don't need much (any?) hard drive space available to use netflix streaming and for blu-ray playback.

You use the hard drive for storage of game data, downloaded videos/movies, etc. Are you running out of hard drive space? If not, why bother?

Agree, if you are only using it for Streaming and BD playback then the 40G is plenty big enough for you.

If all you are going to do is Stream Netflix and use it for BD playback and no games then I would get a standalone player which will be cheaer.
    (3) PS3's, Xbox 360, (2) Wii's and Nintendo NES
    (2) Panny DMPBDT110 3D Standalone Players
    Panny 60" 3D Plasma TC-60ST30
    Panny 50" Plasma TC-P50G10
    Panny 50" 3D TV TC-P50GT25
    Denon AVR-891
    Harmoney One Remote
    Polk Monitor 70's,Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 40's
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ok, I think I understand your question now. I thought you already had a PS3 and wanted to buy another hard drive for it.

As said above, for streaming and blu-ray playback 40G is more than you'll ever need.
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Sometimes I put a whole season of an HD show on my PS3.... that takes up room.

Some games have a 6gig install... all PSN games take up room, as do movies you buy in the PSN store. I have about 50 PSN games (ranging from 20 megs to 2 gigs) and a lot of TV shows, so I use 100gigs pretty easily.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • jabrax
    edited February 2010
    Options
    lanion wrote: »
    Sometimes I put a whole season of an HD show on my PS3.... that takes up room.

Some games have a 6gig install... all PSN games take up room, as do movies you buy in the PSN store. I have about 50 PSN games (ranging from 20 megs to 2 gigs) and a lot of TV shows, so I use 100gigs pretty easily.

Thanks everyone for the information! Just what I needed.

For bluray, netflix, couple of games, figuring the 120gb should be ok.

Last question - The TV shows have me curious. Can you record to the PS3 from the television?

Sorry for being such a Playstation newb. Damn, i must be getting old
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    Blue Ray - PS3
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited February 2010
    Options
    While it's true that if all you need it for is the occasional netflix and blu-ray, you don't need much space, the ps3 is a very flexible multimedia platform. And you may find that you use it for other things down the road like storing downloaded games, music, movies etc. locally on its drive.

The point being that the ps3 will accept basically any standard laptop SATA hard drive and requires only the skills of changing a battery (pop off the door, unscrew a screw, slide out the old drive, transfer the cage, reverse, the ps3 will automatically prompt for formatting on reboot). And it's a little more complicated to change the drive after you've already filled it up, because you have to worry about transferring everything. So if there's the possibility at all that you might start storing more stuff on it, just spend the 60 bucks or so and get a drive that is much larger than even 250GB. I've read about people putting 500GB drives in it with no problems. I put a 200GB drive in mine back when the biggest you could get from Sony was 60GB. At least take a look at the youtube howto's if you're interested. And I would definitely buy the cheapest ps3 you can (don't know if I'd take a chance on a used one if I didn't know its history, tho) as you certainly don't want to pay Sony a premium for their hard drive when you could put a larger drive in yourself for less.
  • justsomarvelous
    justsomarvelous Posts: 13
    edited February 2010
    Options
    If you use your PS3 to store a lot of videos/ music and ETC you should have a 250gb + HDD Imo...a 40gb hdd gets filled up fast from huge save files lol