2001 Suburban stock speaker replacement

hoosier21
hoosier21 Posts: 4,409
edited February 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Over the weekend I replaced the stock speakers in my SUV with Polk db6501s in the front and db 651 in the rear doors, sounds much better, wow there was lots of foam surround missing from all four speakers.

Install went well and was easy, all just dropped in except the 6501's tweeters, i have to do some cutting to get it tweeter mounted on the factory mounting plate.

I want to look at replacing the factory subwoofer now.

Anyone know what the power is going to this driver from the factory?

According to Crutchfield, the Polk db840 is a fit, but has this note "Please measure mounting area to confirm fit"

anyone ever replaced this driver before?

any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks

Russ
Dodd - Battery Preamp
Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
Outlaw ICBM - crossover
Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
Post edited by hoosier21 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2010
    The power wont be much as its probably a 6" sub or an 8 at the most. Upgrading to a new sub might not really make a difference without upgrading the amp as well. A 6" sub getting 50 watts really wont sound that much worse than a 8" sub getting 50 watts.

Granted, Im not that familiar with the OEM sound systems so take that with a grain of salt. Cody is well versed in GM so he'll know more than I do.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • hoosier21
    edited February 2010
    I know it will be a real low powered amp, but given the contdition the door speakers were in, I am sure that speaker is a POS with rotten surrounds also.

Plus, the polk speakers must be a bit more sensitive, as the bass is a bit more laid back than usual and is driving me nuts. Hoping to at least gain the tonal balanace.

the 8 inch driver is only 50 bucks, I am sure I will change it out.

Thanks

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • hoosier21
    edited February 2010
    DSkip wrote: »
    They will sound better after time. In 2-4 weeks you should start noticing a bit more sound coming from them.

The db line is imo the best entry-level speaker out there. There aren't many within that range that can compare the clarity of those speakers. Mine were always a bit bright for me though, and I had the same issue with the midbass. They did get better over a few weeks of playing them though.

thanks, that could be 6 months for me, I have about a 5 min drive to work
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• hoosier21
    edited February 2010
    DSkip wrote: »
    Mine were always a bit bright for me though, .

same here
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2010
    Try attenuating the tweeter, from the switch at the xover. Also try and pinch down a bit at 2-3khz at your hu's eq. The db's are a bit on the brighter side. But that can be fixed. That apart, they are great entry level speakers.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2010
    Theyre too bright because the crossover point is too low.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2010
    True. That's the root cause. Thiis applied a bit even with the momo's. For the momo's the passive crossover point was 2.6khz, if I recall correctly. This should have been around the 3-3.5khz mark imo. Going active with the momos and setting this around 4khz, made a big difference.

Thats why I was suggesting the OP pinch down a bit at this point.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2010
    hoosier21 wrote: »
    I know it will be a real low powered amp, but given the contdition the door speakers were in, I am sure that speaker is a POS with rotten surrounds also.

Plus, the polk speakers must be a bit more sensitive, as the bass is a bit more laid back than usual and is driving me nuts. Hoping to at least gain the tonal balanace.

the 8 inch driver is only 50 bucks, I am sure I will change it out.

Thanks

Russ
    It is an 8" driver, but what you'll have to worry about is depth. Its probably getting somewhere in the range of about 20 watts. I wouldn't put the Polk in there, I would get something off of partsexpress.com. The polk sub isnt going to be as efficient as the stock one and its going to require more power.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2010
    I would love to see some pictures of the install, either during and/or after. Dad has an '01 Suburban, as well.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hoosier21
    edited February 2010
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I would love to see some pictures of the install, either during and/or after. Dad has an '01 Suburban, as well.

It looks stock, everything is behind the stock grills.

The rear door speakers literally where screwed into the stock openings using the stock screw holes and Polk provided screws.

The fronts are a bit different, the woofer was screwed to the door panel using the backer plate provied by Polk (door panel sandwiched between the woofer and backer plate) using the factory hole in the door panel. The factory mountingplate for the tweeter was the only "work", as I had to drill and dremel the factory tweeter out, and enlarge the hole to except the Polk tweeter mounting cup. Not real hard, took about 10-15 mins each tweeter mount.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• MacLeod
    edited February 2010
    exalted512 wrote: »
    It is an 8" driver, but what you'll have to worry about is depth. Its probably getting somewhere in the range of about 20 watts. I wouldn't put the Polk in there, I would get something off of partsexpress.com. The polk sub isnt going to be as efficient as the stock one and its going to require more power.
    -Cody

I knew my boy would have the answer. Its kinda like I figured - a half assed sub getting barely enough power to light a match.

Cody makes a good point about Parts Express. Theyve got plenty of great OEM replacement speakers and dirt cheap.

• exalted512
    edited February 2010
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Cody makes a good point about Parts Express.

those are the only kind of points I make:D
    -Cody

P.S. JL sucks:p
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2010
    hoosier21 wrote: »
    It looks stock, everything is behind the stock grills.

The rear door speakers literally where screwed into the stock openings using the stock screw holes and Polk provided screws.

The fronts are a bit different, the woofer was screwed to the door panel using the backer plate provied by Polk (door panel sandwiched between the woofer and backer plate) using the factory hole in the door panel. The factory mountingplate for the tweeter was the only "work", as I had to drill and dremel the factory tweeter out, and enlarge the hole to except the Polk tweeter mounting cup. Not real hard, took about 10-15 mins each tweeter mount.
    Very nice. Easy AND stealth install. Awesome!
    those are the only kind of points I make:D
    -Cody

P.S. JL sucks:p
    Psh, just not even worth it. :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hoosier21
    edited February 2010
    don't see too many 8" drivers on partsexpress, somebody suggest one for me please.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• exalted512
    edited February 2010
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2010
    Tang Band, despite their flea market name, makes some very nice drivers. Definitely check them out.

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2010
    audiobliss wrote: »

+1.... I have an '01 tahoe and was thinking of doing the exact same speaker replacement. I assume you still have the stock head unit?

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • hoosier21
    edited February 2010

thanks, I didn't really mean I needed help finding 8" drivers, I meant a shallow OEM cheap as dirt 8" driver.

Thank tho, I will work on getting one.

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• hoosier21
    edited February 2010
    McLoki wrote: »
    +1.... I have an '01 tahoe and was thinking of doing the exact same speaker replacement. I assume you still have the stock head unit?

Michael

if it stops raining I will take a few.

yes, using the stock radio, it is a very nice improvement for the money and effort

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• exalted512
    edited February 2010
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-356

Haven't heard that model personally, but specs wise it looks good. Fairly high efficiency in a 4 ohm driver.
    -Cody
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited February 2010
    Check the impedence of that factory 8" woofer I think it's 2ohm. If it is and you replace with a 4 ohm driver you will lose half your power and not realy be able to hear it...
  • hoosier21
    edited February 2010
    Check the impedence of that factory 8" woofer I think it's 2ohm. If it is and you replace with a 4 ohm driver you will lose half your power and not realy be able to hear it...

maybe get a 4 ohm DVC and wire it up for 2 ohm?

I will look in this too when the weather breaks and time permits
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq