ok -- a decision on the alternator.

PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I jsut wanna run this by you guys and see what your take is...

- keep the stock 117A denso in its factory location regulated by the body computer.

- add a 105 amp or 115 amp GM "one wire" alternator next to it.

the gm 105 / 115's have a one wire hookup with internal regulation.... so there's only one wire to connect, just the battery cable from the alt to battery(ies).

This would give me like 225 - 235A at around 1400 rpms (as i get more info i'm being told the factory alts peak out around 1300 - 1500).

I would find some high gauge angle iron to fab up brackets to mount the 2nd alt -- and then somehow i'd either get the serpentine belt around it or manage to fab a 2nd pully onto the front of the stock alt and jump a V belt from alt to alt.

obviously making sure of pully diameter so as to ensure "true" rpms.

any comments? does this sound kosher??

if so -- imma hop on an AC Delco GM unit that's like 75 bucks new in package. i think retail on them is like 125 or so without warranty (autozone has one thats 105A gm replacement with a lifetime warranty for 220 or the same alt w/ no warranty for 120).
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    oh.. if anyone wants a 136A denso that's seen much better days... lemme know... its friggin fried, but if i can dig it outa the garage i'll sell it.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    That's what I said you should do so, you know what my answer is anyway.

However, about the pulleys. Don't go trying to make your own pulley. They have to be balanced and dead on otherwise they will wobble, fry the bearings in the alternators and bend other pulleys not to mention you won't be able to keep a belt on the pulley. It'll throw belts like pro-wrestlers throw midgets and dwarfs!

Beetter idea is to mount the other alternator as close as you can and get a bigger serpentine belt. Take a look at your belt diagram and figure out where the easiest and safest place to loop the belt would be and make sure all the pulleys get enough belt contact to spin the properly.

What you might want to do is get a service manual for your trucka nd check out if the Dodges have a dual alternator option. I know Ford does or at least did, I'm not sure about Chevy and I think Dodge does too. If that is the case, it may be easier and less time consuming to goto the dealer parts guy and order the bracketry. It might be expensive but if you are nice to the dealer guy and don't act like an ****, they usually help you out as best as they can.

You might also want to check out the alternator ratings available for your year truck. There may be higher amperage alternators available. If that is the case, you may be able to swing the harness and regulator for a stock dual alternator setup. That may have enough juice for you to get what you are looking for. If that is the case, then you could goto a Pep Boys or Autozone or something and get a couple remanned alternators for a song. Basically, what it would end up costing you for the new, hi-po alternator you could do a dual alternator setup if you look around. Hell, 2 130 amp alternators like the one you have would give 260 amps. If they have 160 amp alternators, thats 320 amps. Do some research though and use your brain before you go jumping into something.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    largest mopar alt for my series engine with body comp regulation is 136A -- and they're kinda doggish -- hence the dead one in the garage.

when u talked about doing one with its own regulator before i didn't really understand u -- fact is, i just dont know that much about the damn things... did a little fishing and ended up comin back to what u said... hah :)

i've been told dodge has a dual alt setup but that it was for diesels... and nobody at a dealer will give me a straight answer -- they're like "if u dont have a vin number to look it up by then we cant find it" .. and i'm like "dude... vin number my heiney -- i need a part from a car that isn't mine.. do get my drift?" lol

thanks for the heads up on the pully's/ belts though... i probably would have got myself in a world of **** and then tried to fix it later... as per my usual... i've a habit of doin that. i'll be sure to eeither get a longer belt or jump the belt off its center pully and loop around somehow -- there's a pull it goes around near the middle of the engine that is only for tension its not an actual functional pully... i can get around it.

anywho -- thanks dude... i'll let ya know how it ends up. :)