Newbie with set of lsi 7 speakers need help with amp.

Art F.
Art F. Posts: 4
edited January 2010 in Speakers
Sorry folks I'm new to high fidelity. I have a new set of polk lsi 7 speakers. I have a sherwood receiver ( 105 watts per channel) I never had seperate amps or a pre amp. People tell me to get the best sound from these speakers, I should be using a seperate amp. I really do not know anything about these. I would appreciate any help or suggestions from all you who understand. THANK YOU...Art

Comments

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited January 2010
    Art F. wrote: »
    Sorry folks I'm new to high fidelity. I have a new set of polk lsi 7 speakers. I have a sherwood receiver ( 105 watts per channel) I never had seperate amps or a pre amp. People tell me to get the best sound from these speakers, I should be using a seperate amp. I really do not know anything about these. I would appreciate any help or suggestions from all you who understand. THANK YOU...Art

Art,
    Welcome to the Polk Forums!

Here you will find lots of good advice about Polk speakers and setups.

I'd recommend small incremental steps and lots of 'hands on' listening tempered with all the info you can get here.

Start with what you have now and listen to what you hear and what your expectations are.

Are you happy or disappointed?

Or, are you simply wanting something based on what you read on an internet forum?

It's all about starting with what you have, educating yourself, and deciding if you need to move to something different (or higher).

Tell us what you are hearing - do you like what you hear, or not?

The LSi7s are reputedly the easiest to drive of that series. I had a pair myself.

Depending on musical preferences and listening habits, the LSi7s are a very nice set. Given some basic power requisites they can 'wake up' and pump out some very clean and ear grinning sonic pleasure.

What do you hear?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • gcs
    gcs Posts: 2
    Art
    I was told I need a preamp for my Technics turntable to work with a Sherwood 8090 receiver. Great advice ! I picked one up on internet for $15. Works fine but can only get sound out of right speaker. After playing with receiver speaker settings left came on but I foolishly tried additional speaker buttons and lost left speaker again and can not remember what setting I punched in before. HELP!!!
    gcs
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Do u see how old this thread is??? Lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    gcs wrote: »
    Art
    I was told I need a preamp for my Technics turntable to work with a Sherwood 8090 receiver. Great advice ! I picked one up on internet for $15. Works fine but can only get sound out of right speaker. After playing with receiver speaker settings left came on but I foolishly tried additional speaker buttons and lost left speaker again and can not remember what setting I punched in before. HELP!!!
    gcs

Get some DeOxit, and try cleaning the contacts inside the switches. You can find info on how to do this online.