Need advice!

Options
watdawaq
watdawaq Posts: 6
edited February 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
OK, so I've been doing a ton of research and settled on:

2 pairs of polk db651 speakers (fr and rear) juiced by an alpine mrp-f300 4 channel amp
and an infinity basslink sub (which has its own amp)

09 civic lx sedan, non-premium HU and no factory amp/subs.

question1: should I buy bass blockers for the speakers? if so which ones exactly?

question2: should I just have gotten a standalone sub and hooked it up to my amp? the reason why I got the basslink is b/c I wanted something compact (don't need earth-shattering bass). how do you think my setup will sound?:confused:
Post edited by watdawaq on

Comments

• MCCLIPSE
    MCCLIPSE Posts: 176
    edited January 2010
    Options
    your setup sounds like it will sound pretty nice, if you wanted to save the space the basslink will work fine I'm sure. You do not need bass blockers for your Db651's if you are amping them with the alpine. All you need to do is either run them unfiltered or high pass em low maybe around 120 hz or so preventing them from playing out of their undistorted range. Either way, they have built in crossovers so they'll sound great.
    Truck system so far...

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab Hemi

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic TC-P50G25 50" Plasma
    Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Harman/Kardon HK3480(on loan)
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • MCCLIPSE
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Now there is another way of going about this as well which is scratch spending the money on the rear speakers and buy better front door speakers. Such as MM651 or 6501 comps if you like. And then, using the unoccupied channels of your amp bridged to a sub and compact box of your choice. I suggest the MM840 8" from Polk. This allows you a simpler but more powerful system which will sound better as long as you can live without the rear fill
    Truck system so far...

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You don't really need rears, but if you often have people in the back, I'd just run the rear 651 off the hu. My first choice though would ne no rears.

Instead of the db 651 upfront, I would go with components. The alpine amp is fine. I'd run the components off the front channels of the amp and bridge the rear channels to run a 10" sub in a sealed box, placed in the boot.

I would stay away from the bass link. The way a bass link is connected, makes me uncomfortable about the quality of the signal going to the sub.

I would save up to buy a good head unit. I'd buy it in stages if I had to but I'd try to buy the right stuff.
  • MCCLIPSE
    edited February 2010
    Options
    pitermike wrote: »
    Nice Information I Have Given More Information Of This Topic....

Hmm...sounds a little spammish to me...reported for good measure
    Truck system so far...

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • fj_az
    fj_az Posts: 22
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I have a basslink I like it. I have a baby now so had to take out the JLW3s it was taking up too much trunk space. I don't crank up my music like I use to so this sub fills the low end of the sound spectrum. I'd recommend it if you don't want the neighbors hearing you from blocks away.