help with speaker selection

priussound
priussound Posts: 3
edited January 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
The mounting locations in my car are a little strange, and I would like some advice on the speakers to get.

My first instinct is to get mm6501's in front and db651 in the rear doors with an 4 ch amplifier for the front (and maybe for the rear or a different subwoofer). Then get a infinity basslink subwoofer that can be easily removed in my hatch.

The car is a 2010 prius that I bought at the end of november. The main problem with the sound is low and mid frequencies, but I'm sure when I fix this I'll hear problems with the tweeters. The front channel goes to 6x9 speakers in the lower front part of the doors, and to squawkers (midrange to tweeters) in the front of the dash. The rear signal goes to 6.5 coaxes in the lower front of the rear doors. I am putting in a pioneer z110bt to replace the head unit.

So here are the questions - I am a little concerned about the distance in front components between the midbass and tweeter. Am I better off putting a mm691 up front, then just use the momo tweeters in the dash to pull the sound forward. In this scenario, I thought I might put the mm6501 mid bass in the rear. I'm not sure what the cross over frequencies should be. I was also thinking of hertz hsk165 because I can set the cross over lower, but I don't know where to listen to hertz here in Austin.

Thank you for your help
Post edited by priussound on

Comments

• MCCLIPSE
    MCCLIPSE Posts: 176
    edited January 2010
    I would say get 6x9 to 6.5 adapters and run the 6501's in the front doors in factory locations. And then maybe 651's for rear fill. OR...find some SR6500 comps on ebay or something, bridge your 4 channel amp to those in the front doors and just add the sub. It's up to you to determine whether you really want speakers in the rear doors. Doing the front door only setup allows you to get much better speakers up front thus making you much happier.
    Truck system so far...

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab Hemi

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic TC-P50G25 50" Plasma
    Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Harman/Kardon HK3480(on loan)
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • priussound
    priussound Posts: 3
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like both of you think, I shouldn't worry about the about the separation on mid and high frequencies, and just put the mm6501s up front.

Does anyone know what how low the tweeter can go? I may want to bi amp and send more of the lower frequencies toward the dash. I don't really have the tools to fab a conversion bracket, so I am going to pay someone to install at least the front door speakers, and probably the dash tweets since they require removing molding around airbags. I will probably have dynamat done in the front doors as well.

DSkip, yes your other thread is pertinent. I want to use rear speakers as fill because there are obstacles and reflections in the car. The tweets are clear and in front on the dash, so those sounds aren't blocked but are reflected. coax's are cheap and I can run them off the head unit. The main question here is will db651s be fine off the head unit, or should I go mm651, or can I get by with my stock speakers ans they will be much softer than the fronts. I also didn't know if I should low pass my rear speakers.
  • MCCLIPSE
    MCCLIPSE Posts: 176
    edited January 2010
    db651's will be fine off the HU alone, at least just for rear fill if you want it. You should really only low pass your sub unless you wanna put dedicated midbass in the rear doors and amp those as well. That would give you kind of a 3-way setup. As far as the tweeter goes, you don't really need to bi-amp and are somewhat limited to do so if desired because the crossovers that come with the MM6501 aren't bi-amp capable. So you would have to go to an active using either a high-dollar headunit or an external active crossover to bi-amp correctly. But, I really wouldn't worry about that because the passive crossovers that come with the comps will do the job perfectly.
    Truck system so far...

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab Hemi

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic TC-P50G25 50" Plasma
    Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Harman/Kardon HK3480(on loan)
    Monitor 70 Series II