Monsoon front speaker problem

killabee
killabee Posts: 3
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 99 camaro with a monsoon system
I installed the gxr6e model 6 3/4 in the door.
When I removed the factory there was a 4 wire
setup-2 pos, 2 neg.
First I spliced the like wires but it made the speakers
pop/crack so I used just one of each.
The speakers play but lower than the rest.
I have 4 ohm pioneers in the b pillars
and factory 2 ohms in the back hatch.

Is it a wiring problems or are the 2 ohms
overplaying?
Post edited by killabee on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    if there were two + and two - then chances are that they are the **** end of a crossover network.... in which case, one of those wires is for a tweeter high pass the other is either a low pass or bandpass woofer or mid-woofer.

In which case, you would need to track down the FRONT end of the xover network and tap into THAT wire.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2003
    eee...sounds like fun...
    gm and their damn speaker configurations...1st making speakers impossible to get to without taking every panel off in your truck...then the bose systems...whats next? sony head units? *knocks on wood*
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    What it seems like is that taht Monsoon system uses 2 ohm tweeters and 2 ohm woofers in all locations. This would make a 4 ohm speaker not play as loudly because of the power drop from a 2 ohm load to a 4 ohm load.

Unfortunatly, there is not an easy way to fix this except to replace all speakers with aftermarket speakers that have the same nominal impedance.

This is a common problem that people run into with these "premium" stereos in newer cars. Guess who started it all? Bose. Imagine that? The first "premium" stereos to be taliored to specific cars were Bose systems in GM vehicles. Sure, there were others from JBL, Pioneer and Infinity but all of those earlier systems used standard drivers from thier line-ups. This newer stuff uses weird impedance levels with goofy electronics that are all proprietary so that it is exceedingly difficult to replace any component with anything but an original component.

Personally, I don't deal with the "premium" stereos in cars. If I can get it elminated from the car before I buy, I will. If not, its the first thing to come out. And good riddance IMO. Nothing more that over-priced, over-inflated junk. Kinda like Bose. I have a few more companies I could name but it might hurt people's feelings and then they will get all uppity and I'll get blamed for it all again.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    ya be careful, somebody might feel hurt if u knock on bose too much... bose.. wtf... that crap is a joke.

again... i emphasize the "rip it all out" idea.

oh ya -- almost forgot -- since when was ANY factory amp good enough to run a 2 ohm speaker cleanly?

2 ohm speakers are usually garbage off anything but high quality gear... it takes a well designed / built amp to power a 2 ohm speaker "cleanly" with sufficient control of the driver as well as low distortion.

I highly doubt any factory amp can aspire to such a thing.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    The amp could be running as a 4 or 8 ohm load and the speakers are run with active crossovers that split not only the signal but power too.

I highly doubt that though. I could be wrong about the impedance of the speakers too though. Then again, I don't keep that stuff in the car. It usually goes in platic bags and gets thrown in a box and goes in the attic, basement, garage or even the shed with the make model year and color of the vehicle it came out of, along with all the hardware. Gotta keep that stuff around so that when you want to go and sell the vehicle, you can put it all back in and restore some value to the car. Also, don't want the next schmuck getting my thousands of dollars worth of audio equipment for a song. Let him pay for his own stuff himself!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!