H/k Avr-325

Options
mjk91383
mjk91383 Posts: 298
edited May 2003 in Electronics
Does anyone out there have any experience with the latest line of H/K receivers?

I've been thinking about purchasing a factory renewed H/K 325 or 525 from onecall, but I'm not sure whether it's a good time to be thinking about 7.1 since most stuff out there still seems to be centered around a 5.1 setup.

Any ideas/suggestions?

EDIT: Failed to mention that I really need something with component video switching, since my HDTV only has one RGB input.
Post edited by mjk91383 on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I say go for the 525. Go with more power.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2003
    Options
    It's always a good time to upgrade, just not to do it with HK. Do a search and you'll find the gereral population here at Club Polk will tell you to avoid HK.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited April 2003
    Options
    mjk,

Not sure of your question but I am big on H/K. You don't need to use the 7.1 mode but it will be there for the future if you need it. You can also look for the 320 or 520 which are 5.1 units but could upgrade to 7.1 with an extra amp if the need ever arrises. Same thing with the 520. All these units have features galore and have preamp outs for external amps. Logic 7 is great for processing stereo signals to surround sound.

If you are just lookin for 5.1 look into the 320 or 520. You should be able to get a great deal on these units.

Greg

Really not sure why H/K is not more popular on this forum. There has been a reliability problem but my 320 has performed well. Great sound, plenty of inputs and outputs, component switching etc. etc.
    suds, suds and more suds!
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    It's always a good time to upgrade, just not to do it with HK. Do a search and you'll find the gereral population here at Club Polk will tell you to avoid HK.

I've really given alot of thought to purchasing something other than another H/K receiver, but I haven't really come across a receiver under $500 that has 6.1 and component switching. There was a particular Marantz receiver that I read a favorable review for a couple of months ago. The only thing that really turned me away from it was the lack of component switching.
    Originally posted by gshisme
    Really not sure why H/K is not more popular on this forum. There has been a reliability problem but my 320 has performed well. Great sound, plenty of inputs and outputs, component switching etc. etc.

Sounds like we're in the same boat, Greg. I purchased my AVR-310 back in August of 2001 and have yet to have a single problem with it.

Has quality control on H/K's dropped significantly in the last year or so? I've been so busy with school that I haven't had much time to really keep up with the home theater scene.
  • gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    mjk91383,

Actually, from what I have read on the A/V forums, the reliability of H/K receivers seems to be a thing of the past. There were a couple of years back where problems existed..not sure when...but I would have complete confidence in purchasing another. Denon seemed to have the same problem with their past DVD players but that will not stop me from purchasing the 2900 as soon as I can find one.

Greg
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2003
    Options
    That would be welcome news Greg. I did like the sound of my HK, for the month I owned it. It had too many poblems so it was returned and I met a nice lady named Marantz, she has yet to let me down.

If HK has gotten their quality issues fixed that's great.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Ron-P,

Glad to hear the Marantz works for you. It is a shame about some of the H/K units, but knock on wood mine has been very kind to me. Now if only I could get a hold of a Denon 2900.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I do really like the HK sound for movies, but I've seen several of the QC issues first hand and would be somewhat wary.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2003
    Options
    yamaha receivers have 6.1 and they are fairly cheap, i dont know if they are the quality you are looking for but its something to look at