What should be the minimal distance between coil went and wall of box?

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I need to make my box so flat, how it is possible. What should be the minimal distance between coil vent hole in the back of sub and back wall of box. Thanx.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited April 2003
    Options
    There is no set space for the distance between the magnet and the rear of the box. I usually try to keep it at at least an inch or so, just so the cone can breath.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    Options
    ... in addition if you are using polyfill in your box... its fine to have the fill "around" that vent hole,but if by chance u get fill jammed into that hole, well .. u might as well not have a vent hole then.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Thank You!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    Options
    1 inch is the min but more is better for voice coil cooling
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I have two IDQ 10's sitting on the back of my sealed box. Been running them at nearly their peak power rating for about a year now with absolutely no problems.
    "The Big C"
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    Options
    c-man your going to blow your subs it may take awhile but with them sitting on the back of the box like that the voice coil is not getting engoungh cooling the thing that is saving them is the fact that they are image dynamics and i do belive that they have cooling else where on the basket listen to them from cold to hot and you should see a diference.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Nah, they sound great all the time. I shouldn't say the vent is sitting on the back of the box, the more I think about it, it's the top of the magnet. They are in a small sealed truck style box.
    "The Big C"