I need an alternator

PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I need a BIG alternator. 250 amps or better (fuzzy math says i'm drawing as much as 250 amps... with the ability if i juiced each of my amps to draw as much as 278 amps which doesn't really leave me with a warm happy feeling since i cannot physically fit anything bigger than 220 in there [thats assuming that nobody can suggest anything other than the miriad of places i've already contacted]). but that will fit bolt up to my truck's 360 5.9L motor. only about 6.5" depth from front to back / 6" across or so. and that's all i can fit. the "you're amps are putting out DC voltage on the heavy notes" monster finally caught up to me.

Ohio generator wants like 600 bucks through a distributor for a direct bolt on w/ 2 yr warranty that'll do 220 amps at idle and maybe peak out at 240.

Custom Electric might be able to build me a refitted GM that will bolt up with a little figgityness (but nothin major) that'll do 225 - 235 amps at 1500 - 1600 rpms and peak out at 250. that would cost me like 250 or 300 ... no warranty.

any suggestions on where i could 1) get a stronger alternator that'll fit in that tiny **** space. and 2) get it cheaper... i can handle about a 250 dollar bill if i sell these JBL amps.

????
thanx
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited April 2003
    PBD, Did you contact WWW.MRALTERNATOR.COM Talk to Tom. He's the owner.
    Chris
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited April 2003
    I dont like to bad mouth companies..but there is a string on sounddomain on peeps having issues with the alts from mr alternator...especialy not putting out what they say they will- folks have had issue with the regulators on them ....some have said thir stock..was stronger..

i'd check it out..prior to getting one
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2003
    try 4alterstart.com got mine there, but it's only 150. 2 months and it's fine so far
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    mr. alt wont do anything over 160 and he wants a ridiculous amoutn for such little power.

alterstart i am currently talking to -- he's got a 165A alt that'll bolt up to a 98 ram (trying to figure out if it'll work with my 99... i dont see why not... maybe a computer issue) for 130 bucks.

If that works out.. I'll dump 130 on that... and then invest in maybe 2 more batteries.. throw those in the bed.. hopefully that'll solve my current capacity problem.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    Why don't you get another bracket fabbed up and install a 2nd alternator? 2 120's give 240 amps. two 150's give you 300 amps. Expensive but alot easier than trying to find a 200+ amp alternator.

Goto the book store and start looking at lowrider magazines and car audio magazines that cater to competition. They usually have ads for high power alternator companies in them. I remember seeing one company with silver plated and gold plated alternators that were putting out 300, 350 and 450 amps. At least that is what was in the ad. I don't remember the name of the company though because I wasn't looking for anything like that.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    the only problem with the bracket / 2nd alt idea is this...

1- how would i get the belt to readily wrap around two pully's and apply appropriate pressure to each -- the way its arranged.. it looks like it'd be a ****.

2- could the body computer control two alternators by simply parallelling the regulator wires from the first alt to the 2nd alt?

i've called about 15 alternator companies / people / whatever... they make huge alternators... i can get a 305 amp one or something like that for like 450 bucks... but it hasn't got a prayer of fitting in a 6.5 inch deep / 6" across slot.

now the a$$hole who had the 165 A one emails me back (guy from altstart) going "sorry we have nothing available" -- ireply with "but u have a 165A unit on ebay for a 98 ram 5.9L engine... why would that not fit my truck" .. he replies again this time in big letters with exclaimation points going "WE HAVE NOTHIGN AVAILABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -- do i look that braindead? guy has an alt on ebay -- then tell me he has none available.... wtf is that.?

the other problem is i cant get a straight answer on at what RPM the factory alt does what amperage -- i mean if its doing 117 at 1500 rpms.. then getting two of them makes sense... but if its at like 3000 rpms.. then why even bother.

maybe i should just get 40000000000 duracell 6 volt flashlight batteries and pray. *utter sarcasm*