1.2TL Mortite

Options
chandler9a
chandler9a Posts: 877
edited January 2010 in Vintage Speakers
Hey guys, I will be adding Mortite to the 1.2TL's tomorrow with my my father. I have read DarqueKnight's great review on the process as well as others of you who have made this addition so I am interested in the outcome and hope I have everything in order. We will be sealing all of the corners inside as well to make sure the cabinets are back to the way they should be.

I really don't want to venture away from how the speakers were designed to sound but realize improvements are possible after 20 years. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.
Post edited by chandler9a on

Comments

• beef316
    beef316 Posts: 154
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I think sealing the cabinet is good idea. The cabinets were designed to be sealed, so ensuring that they are sealed would not be venturing away from the intended design.
    2004 IASCA Spring Break Nationals Champion - Amateur Street
    2003 IASCA World Finals Runner Up - Amateur Street
    Certified IASCA Judge
  • PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I just resealed my 1.2TLs with Mortite. You should expect better definition in the bass area, and you may notice a volume increase coming from the speakers. This is one improvement you should perform. Expect to take 2 to 3 hours to complete. Also, make sure not to over use the mortite as it is not necessary or recommended. Use ONLY one strand where the ring meets the basket. Overusing on the midrange and PR was my mistake which I had to reopen all of them taking the project longer to complete.

Read DarqueKnights recommendations on how to apply and best practices using the Mortite. Its pretty easy.

Good luck and let us know about your impressions using the Mortite.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • PolkMaster1
    edited January 2010
    Options
    beef316 wrote: »
    I think sealing the cabinet is good idea. The cabinets were designed to be sealed, so ensuring that they are sealed would not be venturing away from the intended design.

I second that motion.

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The mortite helps deaden the ring in the mids from the stamped steel basket also. That to me was more important than sealing the cab.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • chandler9a
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will be sure to report back.
  • chandler9a
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Well the project is finished. I am usually skeptical of these kinds of jobs, not knowing how it will effect the sound. I have to say I really like it! the bass is definitely more defined or should I say accurately smooth. The mids as well improved for me as before it seemed a little echoish at times, maybe that ringing Ben mentioned but now... right on.

Thank you all for the input!

Aaron
  • PolkMaster1
    edited January 2010
    Options
    chandler9a wrote: »
    Well the project is finished. I am usually skeptical of these kinds of jobs, not knowing how it will effect the sound. I have to say I really like it! the bass is definitely more defined or should I say accurately smooth. The mids as well improved for me as before it seemed a little echoish at times, maybe that ringing Ben mentioned but now... right on.

Thank you all for the input!

Aaron

Another Polkie Assimilated! Ahhh.. life is good in Polkie Land!

We are the Polks. We will incorporate your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile.