Filter vs unfilter

Options
wuzzle
wuzzle Posts: 6
edited November 2001 in Technical/Setup
I own a Denon AVR-3300 and just purchased psw350 and was confused by the hookups. I read the denon manual and it shows a sub out. According to the polk manual, I use an RCA cable from sub out to LFE in. What I am confused about is the polk manual states to "check if your reciever is an unfiltered or filtered signal". I gathered that if it is a sub out and not just a line out then use one RCA cable into the LFE in on the sub. However, the sales person told me that I still would want to use a 'Y' adapter on the sub. I don't hear any difference with using it or not using it. I have the sub placed in the corner behind the couch. Thanks for any input....btw I was suprised and glad to hear the increased depth provided by the sub eventhough I have built in subs on my fronts (rt2000p). I use fronts and sub for bass signal setting on my receiver
Post edited by wuzzle on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Wuz,

The sub out on most receivers is already filtered. Connect to the un-filtered jack on your sub. Forget about the Y connector. Use good quality monster or ? single cable.
    If your receiver has two sub outs, think about adding a second sub on the other side of the sofa.
    I know what everyone says, "you can't distinguish where sub sounds come from" not true, putting another 450 sub on the other side of the sofa was the best thing I've done.

works for me,

-Luc
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes, you are correct, a single sub-out is a filtered signal. The correct connection is a single RCA from the sub-out to the LFE input. This will bypass any additional filtering. There is no need for a "Y" cable, old habits are hard to break, I guess.
    Regards, Ken
  • wuzzle
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Thanks, I am glad to hear that there makes no difference with the "Y" adapter in this case
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2001
    Options
    You're welcome, glad to be of help.
    Take care, Ken
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Some sub's voice coils need the R & L input to get the full effect even if you are just useing a Y adapter. Think of it this way. If you are useing the pre-out for the ‘R’ front you aren't going to just use the ‘L’ side of the amp your running the RCA cable to, you would use a ‘Y’ adapter and use both ‘R’&‘L’ inputs on the amp, same with the sub. It really breaks down to the sub manufacturer. When I called Velodyne about this when I ran into the same problem, they were the ones who said yes about the ‘Y’ adapter. The sub would work better, even if your not hearing it at a particular time or at all. Take the Velodyne ULD series, or any passive sub (one needing an amp), you run a ‘R’&‘L’ cable to its amp just as you would a regular speaker.
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Hi:

Subs that have a dual voice coil need a Y adapter run from the receivers LFE out for proper operation.

Gary
  • wuzzle
    edited November 2001
    Options
    so in the case of the psw350 and the denon avr3300 do I need the "Y" adapter? I am confused now! I don't hear an audiable difference. I watched U571 and really felt the depth charges go off.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Ken won't steer you wrong. If he says you don't need the Y-adapter for your configuration then you don't need it.

I think the other guys just meant that there are instances, with other subs and such, where the Y-adapter might make a difference.

On a slightly different note: I have a Kenwood receiver that has the sub out filtered above 200 Hz. I have it hooked to a PSW250 and some RT55i's. I get noticeably better performance by running the unfiltered L/R preamp outs (I use this for two-channel music only) to the sub's L/R line in, so that I can use the variable low-pass on the subwoofer set to 80 Hz or so. I don't know if this would work better in your situation or not. I have a hunch your Denon's sub out is rolled off above 80 Hz anyway.
  • wuzzle
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Ok makes sense. I have bass going to both fronts and sub instead of sub only (setting on the reciever). I have the sub getting signal below 80hz (the nob that goes from 60-180), with no 360* sound. Does this make sense? Would I get better response with the nob turn higher?

thanks