Difference between DB691 and DB690

agarwalgaurav81
agarwalgaurav81 Posts: 24
edited January 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi experts,

I am from India. As recommended by many forums, I am interested in Polk Audio setup for my Maruti Suzuki Ritz. What I want to know the difference between db691 and db690?? The dealer says there is not difference. Then why a price difference ?
Also, I am planning a following setup. I would request experts to guide.
1) HU : Pioneer DEH-3190UB (for India)
http://www.pioneer-india.in/Product.aspx?id=14
2) Rear : Polk DB691 or DB 690
3) Front : Polk DB651

I am not looking at Amp and Component due to cost factor.

However, I would like to know is will it make significant difference for not opting for Component Speakers ? If I should opt then which one ??

Someone told me that I would be missing on punches as DB691 is gud on clarity but that bass factor is not there.

Also, It would be great is you can also comment on, is Polk better than JBL speakers?

I would like to get a experts advice on the same.

Thanks in advance for helping me.
Post edited by agarwalgaurav81 on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2010
    hi Gaurav,

Welcome to CP. The 690 were the older model. The current model is 691. If the dealer is carrying an inventory of the older model, he will obviously give you a better discount on it.

By running 6x9 at the back and 6.5" co-axials (db 651) up front, the sound stage would be be pulled to the rear. Even running off the hu, the 6x9's would over power the 651. Most people buy 6x9's because they are looking for some extra bass. However what you're really wanting is the 20-50hz range which done best by a sub. Your 6x9's would not give you any impact in this range.

Build your setup in stages. If you want good sound, it is important to amp your front stage and components are much better than co-axials. Hu's are a crappy source for clean power. You would start hearing distortion from the hu's amp once you hit about 40-45% of max volume.

I would buy the head unit and the db 6501 and run that first. Save a bit and then add an amp and a small 8" sub. Most people associate subs with boom boom sound. Thats because the subs are setup incorrectly. When properly set, the sub would only play the 20-70hz range. This would give you good balance over the entire 20-20kz range.

Remember to get your front doors deadened when you add the amp. This setup will give you good sound. Much better than running the 651 and 691 off the hu.

Yes Polk's are better than JBL on a like for like level.
  • agarwalgaurav81
    edited January 2010
    Thank you Arun and Dskip for the quick response.

@ Arun : Actually, wht I am looking for is some lively music. I dont want that boom boom sound. What I ment was, without Amps, will 691 create some dull music? I am generally into bollywood music n all, and you know how they are. So, do you suggest I should go for 6501(instead 651) and should not go for a db691 now and get an amp n sub in the 2nd stage.
    Does sub works as a rear speakers ??
    Also, one of the dealers told me that if I buy Polk651, I need not go for Comp as they are already very gud.
    Sorry, if i am asking silly questions. I am not into all this however like to research a lot before I buy any thing.

@DSkip : I reasearched a bit abt Pioneer 3190 and specs says that peak power is 50w*4 and Continuous Power is 22w*4. I am not sure if this is gud enough. Can you please guide.

If 3190 is not compatible with these speakers. I would request you to please suggest some gud HU with a similar price range.

Thanks again.
  • arun1963
    edited January 2010
    You can ask as many silly questions as you want, but pls don't expect us to clarify everything you have heard or read elsewhere, thats just forum etiquette here.

Your hu is rated at 22 watts rms, but at what distortion %? If you heard the speakers at 22watts from the hu, you would be hearing distortion more than actual sound. About 10-12 watts of clean power are what a hu is capable of. Thats roughly about 40-45% of max volume from your hu. Both, components and 6x9 will sound much better when amped.

If you're looking for just a simple plug and play kind of setup then amped components upfront and the 6x9 at the rear would be a simple solution.

If you want to go a step further and have better balance (not boom boom) so that the bollywood tunes sound better, then I would go the comp+sub route. No rears. No the sub doesn't play like a rear. You're only playing the frequencies your 6x9 doesn't reach. For everything else you have the components. Better sound balance.
  • agarwalgaurav81
    edited January 2010
    Thanks again for the reply.

Would you please suggest a decent Sub to compliment db6501 for my Hatchback ? Do I need to Amp it ?

Also, in case I go for Comp, 6*9 and amp, then which amp will compliment db6501 and db691 ?

Thank you for the guidance. :)
  • arun1963
    edited January 2010
    hey,

For the Ritz an 8" sub in a small sealed box would be good. Yes, you need to amp the sub. A four channel amp would give you two channels for your front components and the other two would be bridged (connected together, more power), to play the sub. The sub requires more power, than your components.

For your set-up and space, look for an amp that will give you 4x50-60 watts rms per channel. As suggested, get a decent brand that puts out the required watts. A decent brand ensures that you get clean power without breaking the bank. No sony explod.

From whats available locally, look at alpine, kenwood or even the as JBL GTO series. No Sony Explod :). Your head unit and speakers are more important than your amp. A decent amp that puts out clean rated watts is fine for now.

The above bit on amps would hold good even if you went the comps+6x9 route.