To Amp Or Not To Amp That Is The ??.

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a Alpine CDA-7894 with (60x4) (27x4 RMS) watts. Should I use the HU's speaker outputs or should I use an amp to power the GXR6's and GXR69's? Also what would be a good amp to use with a pair if GXR104's wattage ect. I'd like to stay with Alpine, but if there is a better amp for the money I would consider it instead.

Thanks for any help.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    I wouldn't put that much money into GXR's -- you can get an amp thats 35-40 x 4 and be fine. those speakers are not going to take 85 watts RMS anytime in this century.

the advantage of an amp is BETTER, CLEANER, TRUER power.

many head units do not put out full bandwidth through their speaker level outs -- its "hacked off" on the low end and on the high end. also, it lacks solid definition throughout the spectrum. basically... head unit power = "stinky". I'd take 20 watts rms of amp power over 30 watts rms of deck power.

anyway-- ya an amp would definately bring your speakers to life and elevate them to another level as Kim said. but I don't think u should spend hte money on an 75 - 85 x 4 amp if you aren't going to eventually bump you're speakers up a series (and thus keep the same amp)... if you'rehappy with you're speakers then a 35-40 x 4 will light them up just fine. this really fits in alpine's "range" too -- they're not really a high power company but they do a good job with small clean amps that produce precise power.

Alpine MRP-F240 should be enough juice for them -- 40 x 4 @ 4.

Its the new 2003 black case... so a matching sub amp would be the MRP-M350 --- that's 350 x 1 at 2 ohms... so 175 per sub which is again plenty of juice for the GXR 10's.

I think these amps will not only sound but also LOOK good with the GXR speakers -- cosmetically they wouldn't be as stylish with the V series white case alpines. besides -- these are cheaper anyway.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2003
    Thanks guys I appreciate it.
    I bought the GXR's because they were in my price range and polk being one of the few manufacturers that only do speakers I figured I couldn't go wrong with them.
    My other choices were the Alpine base speakers and pioneers mid level speakers. I'm pretty locked into the speakers because I bought the whole set. I wish I would have spent the extra 20 for the mid level polk 6.5's.
    I think I will get the MRP-M350 for the subs and call it good for this round.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing