CSU or 16-46PC+

Options
kelley
kelley Posts: 287
edited April 2003 in Speakers
I'm going to take the SVS plunge today and thought I'd get everyone's opinion. Which one would you choose and why? 16-46PC+ or the CSU. I'm going to have to drive the CSU if I get it with my Citation amp for the meantime just because of budget. My preamp has all of the settings to control output.
SDS-400, SDA-1B, SVS 20-39pc+, B&K Ref 50, Denon 2900
Post edited by kelley on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I saw your post over at HTF.

I did a review of the Ultra vs. the 20-39PC+ and posted it on HTF a few months ago - name is "Edward J M" over there.

I don't know what the rest of your system looks like, but the Ultra is very expensive and the premium over the PC+ or the CS+ might not be worth it for you.

Really it boils down to the drivers. The best comparison is the passive 20-39CS+ with the dB12 driver vs. the passive 20-39 CS Ultra with the TV12 driver. They are identical subs in all respects except for the driver.

The $575 CS+ offers about 85% of the performance of the $900 Ultra. Tom V at SVS considers the Ultra "worth every penny". I've heard both - and both are awesome and yes the Ultra IS better. Is it $325 better? Only you can decide.

With the said, the PC+ is an incredible value - the best in the line-up. You get everything onboard - variable phase, SS filter, inputs galore, 525W of BASH power. It's a home run and if it were my money, I'd buy a PC+ over an Ultra in a heartbeat.

BTW, the 16-46 is really only needed if you regularly play music/movies with 14-15 Hz content. The 20-39 is a better choice for most applications.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kelley
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm running SDA 3.1tl's for the front, cs400 center, and Boston bookshelfs for the rear, but the Bostons are going to be replaced. There's a $50 difference between the 16-46 and 20-39. You think that the 20-39 is better overall though?
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Well, it's the "pinch hitter" of the line-up. It plays a bit louder overall than the 16-46, but it doesn't dig quite as deep. Very few movies go deeper than what the 20-39 can play in stock tune.

If you want the ultimate in extension, and you have a moderately sized room, the 16-46 is still king. If you have a really big room (4000-5000 ft3), two of them might be a good idea.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kelley
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Doc, I ordered a 20-39PC+ today. When shall I expect you over to calibrate it? :)