Mixing Polk speakers

Options
shiu
shiu Posts: 169
I am planning on upgrading my RM6700 to Rti28 but cannot afford to replace the whole system. Would it sound alright if I only replace the front L/R speakers. This way I could use the two surplus RM6700 as rears to achieve 7.1. My sub is PSW404, would it match well with such a mixed system?

Thanks,

Shiu
Post edited by shiu on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2003
    Options
    it would be best if you could replace the front three instead.. left, center, right. this will be a better match. then later replace the rear ones. but give it a try and see what the results are. it may be good enough to hold you over till you can replace em all.

there is no right or wrong here.. just what sounds good to you.. if you find it sounds decent.. then you're good for the time being. if not.. change it back till you can get the speakers you want.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • shiu
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I'll probably wait until I am ready to buy all three front speakers as you suggested, thanks.
  • jesyjames
    jesyjames Posts: 52
    edited May 2003
    Options
    That's more or less what I did. I currently have RTI 38's and and CSI40 up front and the 4 RM6600 sats in the back(for 6.1/7.1). I can definetly say it was worth it. To complete the system, I've order the FXI 30's to go on the sides in the rear and will continue to use the 2 smaller sats for the extra rear channel.

Just a small suggestion, it's probably best to save up and get what you want so that you don't get upgraditis like you have with the 6700 system. But, using a different polk speaker set up front with your RM system in the back will work out great until you can upgrade the rears.
  • shiu
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Actually, that's one of the reason why I have not make my move on the RTi38 yet. I am thinking of saving up for the LSi7. According to some reviews I read, the RTi does not do very well in high frequency clarity. The LSi apparently does, but it costs so much more. The RTi has a better low frequency response but I think my PSW404 should cover anything below 130 hz.

Do you find the RTi38 sound significantly better than your RM6600? I am still tempted........by the RTi price advantage.
  • jesyjames
    jesyjames Posts: 52
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yeah, I definetly notice a big sound difference. It's most apparent in music, but home theater also sounds much more alive and full. My only regret is that I didn't do this first and save some cash.

I too thought about the LSI, but that would require much more than I was willing to invest. The speakers are more, but then I would also need a much better power source, etc. The RTI fit perfectly for my needs and they sound fantastic. I've heard many, many pairs of "audiophile" speakers. While the RTI series isn't that grade, it sure sounds sweet.

Basically I was never really happy with my RM system. Something always seemed to be missing. I've never felt that way about the RTIs. I just enjoy them.

Having said that, I'd really like to ditch my polk subwoofer and move onto something else, somewhere else, but that's going to have to wait.
  • shiu
    edited May 2003
    Options
  • shiu
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hey guys, I finally bought a pair of RTi38 to replace the front satellites of my RM6700 system. I am very happy will the improved sound quality. I could actually use the Sony's "analog direct" feature to listen to music now without the PSW404. It seems that it sounds as good as my Adcom GFA-555 and Energy Connoisseur system. I had to give up hope for the LSi7 after being told the LSi would not be best with my Sony because of the LSi7's 4 ohm impedance.

I would like to mention that the RTi sounds better with my Sony DA4ES at home than with the Harmon Kardon in the store. I have read about Polk speakers sound best with high current receivers/amplifiers such as B&K, Denon, HK, Rotell. I guess the Sony ES receivers could do not too badly neither.