Dolby Digital EX,(how important) Denon 1082 or 2803

Options
brentski
brentski Posts: 96
edited April 2003 in Speakers
I'm wondering just how important Dolby Digital EX is?
I just purchased a Denon 1082 but saw that it didn't have the Dolb. Dig. EX
The Denon 2803 has this feature.
Both receivers are around the same price while the 1082 is 110WPC(and 36 lbs.) while the 2803 is 90WPC(and 29 lbs). I doubt that the wattage will make much difference though I could definitely tell there was more heft to the 1082 compared to the 2803.
I'll be using the receiver to power my polks in a 6.1 system, primarily for listening to HDTV and DVD's.
Just curious on the thought of how important Dobly Dig. EX is now and will be in future listening?
Is it something I definitely want to get or is it something that won't make such a big difference?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Center CS-400i
Main RT-55's
Surrounds RT-35's
Rear center CS-300
Sub JBL DP-12
Center; CS-400i
Main's; RT-55's
Side Surround's-RT-35's
Rear center;CS-300
Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
Post edited by brentski on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    brentski,
    if you plan to have 6.1 system, then DD EX is important. It allows you to have a discrete information for your surroundback channel. DD EX along with DTS ES are the two format that will extend the full potential of surroundback channels, even though titles/movies with these format is still not as common as regular DD 5.1 You can search these forum on the definitions of these formats. Good luck!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2003
    Options
    It is all about having 6/7.1 or not.;)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2003
    Options
    The 1082 does indeed do DD-EX. It's often referred to as DD Matrix 6.1. Matrix decoding can be applied to any 5.1 DVD, DD or DTS. The ones designated as DD-EX or DTS-ES will benefit the most from this, as they are encoded specifically for this purpose.

The only true 6.1 encoding technology is DTS-ES Discrete, which the 1082 also does.

From the Denon specs page:

Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 7.1 A/V Receiver • Dolby Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes • DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1 decoding • DTS Extended Surround Matrix 6.1 decoding • DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding • Dolby Digital decoding, including Matrix 6.1 decoding •

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS