PBD, Got a Question for you?

CPHILHOWER
CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey PBD, Do you have any ideas about this. its a new one on me. My BD500 is now starting to make a High Pitch Ringing sound. Already checked the RCA leads, Remote lead. i dont think its coming in through the power lead because of the 2 Farad cap. Started a day or two ago.
Thanks.
Chris
Post edited by CPHILHOWER on

Comments

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited April 2003
    one of my amps did this and it was a bad cap in the amp..
    worth checking out
    swapped amps and have not had a prob since
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited April 2003
    I bought the amp new off Ebay back in late Jan. Or was it early Feb? I cant remember exactly. its still under warranty. I hope. Maybe I'll get luck and Rf will stand behind the product more than where I bought it.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited April 2003
    I called RF tech this morning. They wont honor the warranty. Because I bought it off Ebay. They said if I want it fixed, It will cost me $200+. Amazing how they wont stand behind the product. Now I had to take the amp to a local place for an estimate.
    Chris:supermad:
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    chris -- my 81000d's do that every damn day...

u turn them on -- and turn the volume all the way down and u hear "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" or "sssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssseeeeeeeeee"

its power --- its just the "**** noise" of power cable either inside the amp or outside the amp interefereing with your signal cable.

i ripped the musica series cables off the 81000d's and used the streetwires 5.0 lines i had left over from my recent rebuild and now the "eeeeee" is like 1/3 of what it was before.

sometimes .. inside the amp -- the power supply itself can interefrre with teh signal -- it happens... u'd be surprised how often.

as long as once u get your volume up to like "low" and u can't hear that noise over your system, dont worry about it i'd say.

and chris... if i can help u i will... if they tell u "its a this or a that" at the shop u take it to -- or u open it up and something BLATENTLY obvious is wrong with it -- lemme know what it is -- i'll make a phone call or two, see if its in my realm of repair, and if so, i'll do the repair (if u even end up needin one.. like i said i dont think its broke) for the cost of the parts needed and ground shipping (digikey.com is dirt friggin cheap).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited April 2003
    PBD, Its not coming in through the rca or remote lead. The noise is LOUD! The amp is mounted in the trunk. I can hear it in the Drivers seat. Even with the radio about 2/3 way up. I think maybe when RF tested it for the power sheet. They ran about 15.5 volts through it. Basically they forced the amp to produce the rated power. This might have something to do with it.
    Thanks, I am going to wait till I hear from them. They have been in business a long time. So one would assume they know what they are doing.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2003
    RF is supposed to birth sheet at 13.8 volts -- least thats what i recall...

and even if they did 15.5 -- the amp should be "happy" with up to 16 volts. most of the DC power supply circuitry inside is 20volt tolerant parts.

good luck.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited April 2003
    Well PBD, I dropped it off last Friday. Still have not heard yet as to what the problem is. I am going to give them a call tomorrow and see whats up.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    hey u should try the shithole they've got over here... people drop stuff off -- they dont even ask what's wrong and tell u "ehh... call it 75 bucks... call it 100 bucks" -- and then they dont get back to u for 6 weeks... then they fix it... and tell u "ehh... came to like 150. .cash or charge?" and u look at them like they're insane.

i learned that lesson 2 yrs ago.