confused about power ratings

dylan
dylan Posts: 453
edited April 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Please bear with me, I'm a hair short of dumb **** with electrics... I'm trying to power a 10" MTX 8000 sub (single vc, 4ohms). I see some amps are rated wattage wise at 12v, while sometimes they also rate the output at 14v+.

Unless I'm mistaken, my car is only going to supply it 12v? I have a Subaru Legacy GT sedan with an 85 amp alternator. If the car is running does it supply 14v? I just bought an MTX 8302 closeout from Crutchfield, and the difference goes from 300w bridged at 12v to 425w at 14v.

I'm confused. Thanks.
Post edited by dylan on

Comments

• dylan
    edited April 2003
    Alright, I'm clear on the voltage thing now... but I'm still confused about something. How do mono amps compare to bridged 2 channels as far as output? After some listening it seems their power ratings is far above a 2 channel bridged... ie it seems like a 300w mono amp pushes harder than a 2 channel bridged to 300w. Is there a rule of thumb with this, like maybe a 300w mono is about like a 400w bridged, all other things being equal, like brand, power wire, etc. Just curious. Thanks.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    power = voltage x current --- this is not a direct correlation since your battery is not pushing yoru speakers... but for a basic correlation it fits --- so... if voltage increases... power will increase proportionally.

far as MTX's ratings for 12.5 and 14.4 v --- its not all straight.

u have to look at it sideways through a foggy mirror... if u get my drift.

they underrate their 12 volt power by as much as 50% sometimes (at least in the last 5 years... i can't speak for 2003 models they all changed), but their 14.4 volt power is either dead on the money or like 5% overrated.... usually.

ie -- thunder 204: rated 25 x 2 at 12 ... thing does like 48 x 2 on the birth certificate at 12 though... then u turn the car on and get 60 something x 2.

81000d -- rated 1000 x 1 @ 12 / 1500 x 1 @ 14 -- birth sheet comes out around 1200 x 1 at 12 and then it'll do like 1450 - 1500 at 14 v.

as far as the 2 channel bridged versus the mono's --- 2 channel class AB amps wipe the floor with class D amps. for clarity, true power w/ out psuedo DC clipping, and all around quality -- class AB 2 channels are the way to go. But -- they cost more and suck a shitload more pwoer out of your car's alternator / battery. class D's are more efficient, use less power to make more power, are cheaper than compareable power AB's.

but far as power goes -- 300 w is 300 w -- the mtx 8302 u bought is rated at 300 @ 12 / 425 @ 14 --- i've seen some 302's and blue thunder 150x2's do as much as 500+ watts... well beyond their power rating, and its still clean, clear, and solid. i'd put that 8302 up against any 400 - 500 watt mono amp.

it'd prolly beat the piss out of a JBL 600.1 mono.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • dylan
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge

u have to look at it sideways through a foggy mirror... if u get my drift.

That's how I was starting to feel. Something I wasn't thinking about was the class of the amp, good to know. Lots to learn. Hey PBD, thanks for your time!