PSW 505 or DSW Pro 600

Options
gp4jesus
gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
Would appreciate some opinions on these subs. Similar specs-f3, power etc

So which is better and why.

thnx tony
Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
Post edited by gp4jesus on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The DSW Pro 600 hits alot harder at spec than the 505. The design is more robust and Polk finally gave a damn in the overall design. If you could hold both of them in your hands, the new one is simply made better. Remote control to boot? The new lineup is solid and worthy of a look.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • rallyshark
    rallyshark Posts: 417
    edited January 2010
    Options
    +1
    The 505 is a great sub for the money, but the 600 is definitely a step up!
    Sony 40" LCD
    Sony DVPCX995V
    Sony PS3(games/media server)
    Sony PS2
    WD TV Live with 3TB
    Sanyo VCR
    Marantz SR6003
    Polk 11T(xover/RDO)
    RM20 5 pack
    OWM 5
    DUAL Micro Pro 1000
    Combastard Cable
    Harmony One
    When rapture comes, can I have your car?
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Although the PSW505 is a great value sub at its current price.

If you're investing for the long haul its best to get the DSW600 because it will serve you better and longer and is better for 'music' but still good for HT. It also reaches 3 db lower than the 505 which IS a hearable difference.

But, If you're REALLY strapped for cash the 505 is not a bad choice-it's just that the 600is better!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You know what CNH? I'm glad you migrated from the CC forum as you bring alot of motivation to the table.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madnod
    madnod Posts: 79
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i agree with all the above, i have the DSW PRO 600 and i believe it might be going below than rated, i can feel BASS most of the time and i have large room.

waiting to run REW to see how the frequency responce really is.
  • cnh
    edited January 2010
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    You know what CNH? I'm glad you migrated from the CC forum as you bring alot of motivation to the table.

Thanks Mark,

This place has become a second home...a lot of us tanked after CC went under....we formed a small e-mail community and still keep in touch. I hear from Doug Hess fairly regularly for example, and he says hi.

He's relocated to Ohio where he finally got a new job.

That entire CC thing was pretty depressing.

cnh

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Just curious, what is CC?
  • cnh
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The demise of Circuit City...a number of us had a pretty close relationship with the moderators for their website...some of those guys were really talented people...and they did a great job with the site regardless of what people thought about the company...their work was first rate!

cnh

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Cool. Got ya.

Back to the subs...
  • jimmydep
    jimmydep Posts: 1,305
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'd go with the 600, it's very good with music, and does a decent job for HT. I don't think it can be beat for the price.

I too feel we are fortunate to have cnh here, you are a gentleman and an asset to our club.

Jimmy
  • gp4jesus
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It's unanimous! the DSW Pro 600 wins!!

Thanx for all your replies. I really appreciate the "music" comment about the 600 as I am a convert to this insane hobby byway of a music lover/listener from back to 1980.

Actually I think my wife believes I'm the only insane one involved in this hobby. She hasn't taken the time to read much less communicate w/anyone on HT/audio forums.

Some the threads I've read make my system* seem lame. Mono blocks driving all channels $ing 5 figures!

* 4 hafler XL280s and a carvin mono. 3 Haflers bi-amping the LCR w/an EXO, the 4th** drives the sides full range. The Carvin drives a rear center channel. 2 Belles series 1 amps mono'd drive a passive DVC sub.

** 5th XL 280 purchase pending to replace the Carvin for twin rear centers
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mrbofus
    mrbofus Posts: 297
    edited January 2010
    Options
    would the dsw600 mate well with rti8s?
    Sharp Aqous 40" LCD
    Onkyo TX SR-507 AVR
    Onkyo DX-C390 CD Changer
    POLK RTI8 Mains--Cherry
    the rest...in process...slowly!!
  • cnh
    edited January 2010
    Options
    mrbofus wrote: »
    would the dsw600 mate well with rti8s?

ABSOLUTELY! I wouldn't hesitate using 8s with the 600!

cnh

• mrbofus
    mrbofus Posts: 297
    edited January 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    ABSOLUTELY! I wouldn't hesitate using 8s with the 600!

cnh

Cool! I'll add it to the wish list.
    thanks
    Sharp Aqous 40" LCD
    Onkyo TX SR-507 AVR
    Onkyo DX-C390 CD Changer
    POLK RTI8 Mains--Cherry
    the rest...in process...slowly!!
  • gp4jesus
    edited January 2010
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    ...They are a downfiring sub which works well with my setup in a larger room.

What are the dimension of your room? mine's about 12 X 15; cathedral ceiling