poop in a hat Posts: 6
edited April 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Can you run a car amp off of home electricity.:confused:
Post edited by poop in a hat on

Comments

• CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited April 2003
    Not directly. You would need a Transformer capable of delivering the required amount of DC Current and Voltage. Like the ones used at car stereo shops to run their sound boards.
    Chris
  • poop in a hat
    edited April 2003
    Do you know how much they cost?
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited April 2003
    Well, I checked my PartsExpress catalog. They show a Pyramid 40 amp/ 50 surge for about $180 + shipping. I know there are other manufacturers. It would probably be cheaper to get a Battery and Automatic charger.
    Chris
  • poop in a hat
    edited April 2003
    Well wouldn't those piece of crap AC DC converters work.:confused:
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    PC power supply -- u can get like a 25 amp computer power supply for like 35 bucks or 60 bucks depending on quality -- this thing would need to be mounted somewhere but its about the size of like a 6.5" speaker -- like 4 inches deep.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Soundstream did JUST that with some amps originally designed for DC use, converted to AC use. You can, but why?

**** in a **** hat?

Are you kidding me?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited April 2003
    PBD, You might be on to something there. The PC Power Supply has a 12v lead. The better ones are regulated. I wasnt sure if the current capability would work.
    Chris
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by CPHILHOWER
    It would probably be cheaper to get a Battery and Automatic charger.
    Chris

my wife would never approve!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry but a bad idea IMO.

:confused::lol::lol:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited April 2003
    It really depends on how big the amp is... how much power. I have a 15v AC-DC converter that came with my computer speakers that I snipped the tip from, wire the negative to the negative, positive to positive and it runs my Soundstream Reference 200s just fine. (50X2)
    My cousin has a Jensen something... (150X2) that he is running in his house off of about 4 of those AC-DC packs. He's been running it that way everyday for almost two years now and has never had a problem other than when he has deep bass...ie 15 hz, the power drains from the amp and clips. Very rare for this to happen though.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    current is the name of the game --

if u wanna run a 300 x 1 true rms amp -- thn you're going to need a 30A power supply - and 12v PC power supplies rated for 30 - 35 A can do that job.... www.compusa.com
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge