RT600i

Options
ken brydson
ken brydson Posts: 8,650
edited April 2003 in Speakers
Well, they finally arrived. I have but 1 word to say..WOW!!
I was pretty scared when I saw one of the boxes. It was beat to hell. I checked everything and they are absolutely flawless. Giving them a workout as mains right now since surrounds wouldn't be as good a "break in". Got Sammy Hagars latest, "Not 4 Sale" on and I am very impressed. What a deal for $200!!! Highs are nice and crisp but not harsh at all. Maybe even a bit crisper than the LS50's. Mids and bass are are also very impressive but I think the LS50's have the edge here. Got to be the extra driver (duh)
Overall, very, VERY impressed. Best $200 I ever spent. It's going to be hard to move these to surround duty but that's still the plan.
Hope all of you other guys who were lucky enough to snatch these up are as happy as I am.
Reviews??
Post edited by ken brydson on

Comments

• abenedicto
    abenedicto Posts: 55
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ken,

I got these for $300 last summer from JandR music world, and I still say it's the best $300 I've ever spent on speakers :)
    think before you speak....peace always

Yamaha htr-5740
    Sony 222es (sacd/cd)
    Velodyne CT-10 (sub)
    JVC 48WP74 (HDTV)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Are you using them as mains or surrounds? I just moved them to the rear and the kids are watching Monsters, Inc. What a HUGE difference!!!
  • abenedicto
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ken,

I use them as mains paired with a velodyne sub.

Yamaha htr-5740
    Sony 222es (sacd/cd)
    Velodyne CT-10 (sub)
    JVC 48WP74 (HDTV)
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Got mine today (well, my dads anyway) and they look awesome. We already had maple rt800i's and rt35i's so I knew what to expect as far as the finish was concerned, but they sound pretty good so far too. They still need to break in though.

Funny thing happened when the UPS guy came to deliver them- He brought them to the door and rang the bell, and when my dad came to the door he was full of questions about Polk! It turns out he is in the market for a new home theater (his first nice one) and was looking at all the different speakers and had all but setteled on Polk Audio. My dad invited him in to show him our livingroom setup,and on the way in he said "I shouldn't come in, I can't go in here" but never stopped walking. Our ht blew him away- we have a pair of rt2000i's for the mains, a pair of rt800i's for rears, a cs400i for front center and a cs245i for a temporary rear center (it belongs in my dads bedroom ht) driven by my Denon avr-3801.
    He said that Polk's would replace the Pioneer speakers he was using and never knew a movie could sound so good (well the minute or so of what he heard) It was funny that he recognized the receiver he delivered to me about a month ago. Really nice guy, and soon to be Polk lover :D
    Mike
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    And another potential owner is snagged into the vampiric clutch of arms that is Polk Audio...........MUHUHUHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Mine also arrived in what looked like boxes used for parking curbs but the speakers were flawless cosmetically. Using mine for mains. Replaced R50's with mine and the sound became more alive, especially the tweeter with much better seperation in the mid to upper frequency range. Had the whole 2nd floor vibrating even without the sub and that was before I connected the Rotel 1075 to my H/K. By the way I'm selling the Rotel...just too much amp for my room!!(just kidding)

abenedicto, what are your thoughts on your Velodyne. I have the PSW350 and it just sounds too loose...boomy no matter where I place it.

If you hear your neighbor knocking it's not loud enough!!

suds, suds and more suds!
  • abenedicto
    edited April 2003
    Options
    gshisme,

My family room is 14x14 and it blends very well with my rt600i's. Very tight. I looked at Polk SUBS before getting the velo and there was no comparison....I also considered Paradigm but the dealer wanted to much $$.

Yamaha htr-5740
    Sony 222es (sacd/cd)
    Velodyne CT-10 (sub)
    JVC 48WP74 (HDTV)
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Gshisme, whatcha gonna do with those R50's?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    gshisme,

Saw your showcase pics, is that floor carpeted? If so, pull those rubber feet off and spike them pups.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Shizelbs,

Right now they are just standing there looking pretty in the corner of my bedroom. Will probably sell the 50's and use that towards a DVD-A/SACD player or sub or both. Same thing with my PSW 350. Not quite sure what I will be asking yet.

abenedicto, thanks for the feedback on the velodyne.

Greg
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Gshisme,

Email me with what you would like for those 50's. I have an R system right now, and I am kinda regretting being cheap and getting the 40's instead of the 50's.
  • gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Russ,
    will do as soon as I'm finshed moving things around in the rack. Hmmmm, wonder if that will ever happen. Actually I should put the damn fronts on wheels...everytime I work on the back side of the components I have to move the R/F. What's up with the spikes anyway, I read it increases low end response but does it really?

Man you guys don't miss anything.

Greg
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Greg,

The spikes will anchor and help isolate the 600's on your floor. The result should be a tighter, more defined low end.

Shizelbs,

I'll see your offer, and raise you an offer. Let me know if and when you ditch your 40's, I've been looking to step Mama Gates up to a floorstander (she's running S4's now).

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Russ,

Done.

And to reply to Ken's post...I couldn't be happier with the sound of th 600's! They seem to play and get along better with the RT25i's.

Greg
  • gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Shizelbs,

Your e-mail link is turned off.

Greg
  • Alan M
    Alan M Posts: 9
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I got mine on monday in banged up boxes also. I had time to dial 'em in yesterday and they sound great. I finally moved the rt25i's to the rear and got rid of the useless cubes, now that everything transitions so smoothly it almost takes away from the surround effect. lol This is one purchase I'm truly happy with.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying the speakers Alan. :) Seems like as usual Polk handles the masses with ease........ ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.