Alison Krauss - what do you think of her genre?

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited April 2003 in Music & Movies
All,
ok, by mistake, I grabbed Alison Krauss + Union Station SACD Live in KY, thinking it was somebody else. Put in on the player, and it came along her song, not bad. But, I am curious, she sang ballads, reminds me the early James Taylor's album, is she more country than folk? or the other way around? Anyways, I wonder how many AK fans out here in the Polkland?

For those Jazz fans out here, check out Peter Cincotti album. I think he is going to be big, just like the early days of Harry Connick Jr. I strongly recommend this one. It was on Today's show yesterday, very talented piano player (only 22 years old)..
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Alison Krause received some publicity from the O Brother soundtrack. My understanding is that she is primarily folk... but if you dig a little, what many consider 'folk' is very much like early 'country'. I think she has a nice voice and keeps the music simple. Her music is sort of the anti-Spector.

Diana Krall also has a very nice, smooth voice. She applies her talents more to ... piano bar type music.. jazz vocals, etc.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    burdette,
    I also really like Krall, she is soo good, my kinda muzak!

Paul,
    I'll check that album, will let you know what I think.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I'm certainly not into the folk genre as a whole, but Alison is very good. Friend turned me onto her a while back.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Allison Krauss is wonderful. I own several of her albums. Love her voice. She is on my list for must see live. I guess I would classify her style more as bluegrass than any other. Sort of a modern version of Mother Maybell Carter. Some of her music, however, does lean somewhat to a country sound, though.

If you like Allison, perhaps you should give a listen to Iris DeMent. I would say her style is contemporary folk. Some of her lyrics are much like those of John Prine.